Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #1 
Kiku

Is this fin rot or tail biting?

Just got this new boy two days ago at Petco, and I noticed this one little split in his tail but it looked natural to me. However two days later it's looking a little bigger, and i'm wondering if it could be fin rot? Or tail biting...I'm not sure how to tell the difference. and any suggestions for treatment?

all other behavior seems normal, he flares at his reflection, follows my finger, is eating normally, etc etc.

I feed him a diet of betta pellets and the occasional freeze dried bloodworm. His tank is filtered and heated at 80 degrees. His water was tested at petco two days ago and deemed "all good." (As far as that can be trusted). I use seachem water conditioner and stress zyme.
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #2 
Luimeril

looks like biting to me. my Dante does that to his tail(bites between the rays sometimes. i swear it's just to bug me. lol). what size tank is he in? he acutally looks alot like my Dante! lol
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #3 
Kiku

It's a 10 gallon tank =) and sorry for the blurry picture, it's my cursed cell phone camera *laughs*
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #4 
Luimeril

it's fine! :3

Dante bites his because, apparently i'm his entertainment, and he got bored whenever i'd leave. >.>;

otherwise, i was told any kind of stress could start it, be it temperatures, lighting, what-have-you. others do it if they're bored, or if the filter current is too strong. o.0
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #5 
Kiku

I'll start by turning the filter off (it's baffled, but not baffled enough in my opinion. I might try the sponge method). Perhaps I should turn off his light for a while? I'm hoping it's not fin rot, but it doesn't have that ragged-curly look that's usually associated with fin rot so I'm skeptical. If it IS fin rot, do you know what I should do? Aquarium salt?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #6 
Luimeril

that's what i do. :3 that, and clean, warm water. i don't like using meds, unless it's something that CAN'T be cured with clean, warm water and aquarium salt. >.>:
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #7 
Kiku

I'll have to pick up some aquarium salt from the store tomorrow, and for now do a partial water change. I'm not sure how else to entertain him, I suppose I could try providing him with a ping pong ball XD

How much aquarium salt should I put in for his tank size? Or will it say on the back of the package?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #8 
Creat

If its dark around the edges and looks like it has been disintegrated its fin rot but yeah Luimeril is right I think it looks like he tooks bites out of it. Aquarium salt will help with the healing of his tail also if its not fin rot. Just use the amount on the package.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #9 
Kiku

Poor baby. I put 2 teaspoons of non iodized, no additives sea salt to his water, after doing some research and realizing that's all aquarium salt is *laughs* hopefully that helps the poor dear. Other than that, I guess it's time to play the waiting game