Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #1 
LeeNMissG

New 10 gall tank

I originally had a male betta and a catfish in a 1gall tank, but the betta (Bob) insists on chasing Terry (catfish: sex unknown) so we are moving them into a ten gallon tank with more stuff to hide in and some plant life as well. I am thinking of getting neons but am worried Bob will go after them as well. Any advise?
Also, since I haven't transitioned Bob and Terry into the new tank yet, would it be better for me to put the neons in first so the betta would be less territorial? Or how should I approach that?
LeeNMissG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 AM   #2 
Jupiter

Well, your betta was most likely chasing the catfish because 1 gal is already pretty small for a betta, much less two fish...so his territorial behaviour really comes out in a cramped space.

As for the catfish, what type of catfish is it? It'd be a good idea to identify it, in case it becomes too big for the tank, isn't suited for living with a betta, or needs more of its kind. I think after those things are foigured out, you can consider getting other fish. Also, you'll want to cycle the tank first before you add a bunch of fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Post pictures! So we can Scrutinize... err I mean HELP you!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #4 
LeeNMissG

I posted pictures of the fishmates, but I don't have any pics yet of the new tank. I'm still in the midst of setting it up and waiting for the temp of the water to get right. From the other pics though you can see that poor Terry didn't have much to keep him hidden from Bob, nor did he/she have far to swim in the tiny tank.
How do I figure out what type of catfish Terry is? I can't even figure out what sex it is, lol.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #5 
Jupiter

Well, species are usually a lot easier to distinguish compared to sex...where did you get the catfish from? There wasn't any info about it when you bought it?

Anyway, if you post a picture someone is bound to be able to identify it, even if you don't know what it is. :) The one on your profile is a bit hard to see.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #6 
baylee767

It's a cory (There's apic in his album) Please get a clearer pic and post it on this thread so it's easier to see.

Cories need... well, 10 gallons minimum. They reccomend a minimum of 3 cories for tank, but alot of the ones I heard of the maximum number with a male betta in a 10 gallon is 4-5. We need to identify which type though... So don't go off buying fish because I said this. I could be wrong, but have you even cycled the tank or anything that you setup? If not you can't add fish for over a month...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #7 
LeeNMissG

I'll get a better pic when I get a chance, prolly tomorrow. I got the catfish at petsmart, but my father bought it for my daughter which is why I don't know anything about it.
Stupid question: why do I have to cycle my tank for a month before adding fish? I have had fish tanks before and never did that.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #8 
baylee767

Meh... cycling usually takes a month+

it's when you add a source of ammonia to the tank so bacteria builds up that changes it to nitrites and then nitrates, so that it can handle to bioload of fish. If it is a cory it wont be able to handle an uncycled tank like that because they are very sensative.

I'm not very good at explaining cycling... can someone who has more ability to explain things post...?

ALSO: Search cory catfish on google image... do any of the pics look similar to your fish?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Is it a cory? Like I said, I couldn't really see it...

But yes, a 10 gallon is perfect for a betta and a shoal of Cories. You should get at least 5 of them. Cories are very sensitive to water quality, so that's why you'll need to cycle the tank. Taking everything out and doing 100% water change once a week will get to be a huge pain (take my word on this, it's what I'm doing right now ), and your I don't think Cories won't do well with the constant change.

Since fish constantly release ammonia through waste, it builds up and can become quite lethal to fish in high amounts. Cycling is allowing beneficial bacteria to bloom in your tank. These take ammonia and convert them to nitrites, which are still pretty dangerous. Then, in the next stage, another type of bacteria blooms which converts nitrites to nirates, which are okay to have as long as you do the regular water changes. In a cycled ten gallon tank, you'll only need to change about 25% of the water per week.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #10 
baylee767

^ couldn't have put it any better.