Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #1 
nunuchan

I didn't want to come home to this dilemna...

I've been 1000 miles from home for the past two weeks, and I had my brother follow a 4 page list of instructions for my betta. I expected him to be alive (sure the water would need to be changed because I knew he wouldn't change it himself more than once) albeit still a bit sick.

I was wrong.
I came home to long fins after months of fin rot and a BUBBLE NEST.
SO HAPPY! But, the only problem is that I'm moving him today! DX I have to move back to my dorm 15 miles away and I REALLY don't want to disturb his hard work and he's been furiously working on it all morning.....

Anyone ever tried this before?
I know I'm gonna bring about half of his water with him to my dorm (the rest needs to be changed anyways) and try to transport him safely in some tupperware. Is there any way I can preserve his beautiful nest? I know it's gonna get bigger (his nests TOWER above the water) and I don't want to upset him :/
nunuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #2 
bloo97

It's okay. I'd take a picture of it, but then you can go ahead and change the water. He'll make another one. It's hard to destroy some of their work, but usually it's worth it for the fish.

If you really wanted to save it, i guess you could put it in a seperatecontainer and then put that in his tank. I don't know if that would work, though.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #3 
Aluyasha

I have to destroy my Betta's bubblenests all the time when I do water changes and siphon. But the morning after I ruin them, there is another one!
If it gets destoryed there is a good chance he will just replace it with a new one. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #4 
Aluyasha

And of course take a picture of it. I have pictures of all my Betta's bublenests. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #5 
xswornxoffxjello

Take a picture. :) It's beautiful!

When I moved Draco to a tank with a gentler filter, I removed the lid for a water change and was shocked by a gorgeous, thick bubblenest that I hadn't even noticed. :D I was so proud! Of course when I had to destroy it he was all "Where'd it go?" lol
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you would be able to save it. It would probably dissolve.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 
turtle10

My dalmatian male that arrived last Wednesday and another HM male I got Tuesday are already making bubblenests, which makes me super happy.

I have found that I can preserve at least part of the bubble nest during water changes. I very, very gently scoop up as much as I can, making sure not to agitate the water. After the fish are back in I slowly tip one side of the bubble nest container into the water. Since the bubbles float, not too much old water gets back in, probably about half cup.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote