Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #11 
bearwithfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I agree. I have always taken pride in how friendly this forum is. I would hate for new people to come here for help , get verbally attacked and then think we're all a bunch of hateful jerks.
+1million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #12 
tsoto80

I do not think I seen the post post you are talking about but I do know members of this forum are quickly to attack someone even something simple as the bowl size. We need to realize that for one not everyone can afford a 2.5 gallon tank or larger. Some may really love animals and been misinformed on how to properly care for fish. I personaly would not keep my fish in anything smaller than 1 gallon but I also do my water changes. I seen a few new members that was quickly attacked and they seemed genuinely hurt and no longer wanted to come here. There is a nice way to inform people and a forceful way. When I first came to this site the first thing I notice was how nice everyone was and I enjoyed the clean language. It has only been a few months. Things are slowly get more aggresive. I will say the moderators are doing a GREAT job keeping the bad out. Thanks guys!!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #13 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
No, I agree, attacking is going a bit far.
Now, if the original poster (new member) is being rude, disrespectful, and out right name calling, then I can see why our current members would attack.
When our current members attack the disrespectful person we are just feeding into them and putting our self at their low level. I agree with the mods it is best to ignore them. Like we learned as kids, "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all." Sometimes the best point is the silent one. Who could argue with someone who doesnt say anything at all?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #14 
bearwithfish

i could not agree more.... thank you all for the helpful posts this is what a forum should be about.. an intelligent and calm conversation... lets use this every where///////
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #15 
Barrix

We must take to mind that a new member is here to learn how to properly take care of thier betta. Attacking someone about the way they care for their betta at the moment is unecessary behavior that shouldn't be on this site. Respect the fact that someone may not know as much as you do about the care of a specific animal. It's an honor to have someone ask you for advice so take that honor seriously. I'm not saying that I have seen people acting this way on the site. I'm saying that there should never be this behavior and that if there is already people acting like this on the site they shouldn't be acting that way. I agree with the other posts as well.
Barrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

The fact that we don't allow profanity is what kept me here. Our rules aren't that difficult to follow. Keep it clean, keep it friendly and no trolling. How hard can that be to follow?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #17 
bearwithfish

not very IMHO.. i wonder however if those who have partaken in this type of behavior even realize that this conversation is for them? not just a "reminder" but more of an opportunity to join the conversation. i know i am not always the most articulate writer and often have to explain myself a few times to become clear, however, i have always been open to a good conversation with anyone. i feel having both sides represented in a conversation enriches the experience and clarifies key points. dont you agree?
at any rate let us continue to be open minded and explore this hobby further... for those who chose not to come to a conversation with an open mind please please please attempt at least to hold off your comments until those who are willing and able to help have had the chance.... and even then report it to a mod and let the team take care of it....
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Unfortunately, some people don't think the rules pertain to them.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #19 
vaygirl

We all have differing opinions but we can share them sensibly, calmly, and kindly. When I came here to learn about Tango a year and a half ago, everyone was SUPER nice. And I learned so much here. Tango will be 2 and a half years old in February and I owe his longevity to what I learned from you guys.

There's zero reason to be mean to someone who doesn't know any better. There's not even reason to be mean to someone who does know better. It absolutely does NOT help the fish. And that's what we really want.

Young or old, you can control yourself. Always, always, reread what you've written before you hit submit! I've deleted whole paragraphs after walking away and coming back.

This is an awesome community and I love to be here. Everyone should love to be here!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 Vaygirl.