Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 
chelsmarie23

Waiting to add my betta to a new tank

Alright I have a question about using a filter. My fishy is currently in a 1 gallon bowl and I want to move him into a 2.5 gallon within the next couple of days. How do I go about working with the filter? Do I need to let the filter run a day or two for it to settle or can I just put my fish in the new tank when I put the filter in. I'm not familiar with cycling either. Is that what in means to let the filter run for a certain amount of time?
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

When you hear the term "cycling" what that is referring to is the nitrogen cycle and this happens in filtered tanks that have an ammonia source or food for the good bacteria, surface area or a place for the good bacteria to colonize and oxygen

It can take 4-8 weeks for this to happen-two different bacteria at work-one converts the ammonia to nitrite and the other convert nitrite to nitrate-this bacteria is sticky and adhere to everything inside the tank, in the top layer of the substrate/gravel and in the filter media...very little are in the water column and so water only changes will not slow the nitrogen cycle but over cleaning the substrate and filter media can

You can safely cycle the 2.5g filtered tank with the Betta provide that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes to keep the Betta safe...that being-twice weekly 50% water changes and with one of the water changes you need to clean the substrate by vacuum or the stir and dip method

You also need to give the filter media a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain water flow....you want the filter media to look dirty....this is good bacteria that help keep the water fish safe

Once the nitrogen cycle is complete-you still need to make the twice weekly 50% water changes-1-water change is to maintain water quality and 1-water change is for fin health in this species...this is important in small aquariums due to water volume.......

It is safe to add your Betta to the tank after you set it up and it has come to temp...it is important to acclimate the Betta properly to your source water and to the water temp...if the Betta has not been in your source water you need to add some of the dechlorinated tank water to its holding container in small amount over at least 30 min. pour some of the water out of the holding container with the Betta as needed to make room for the tank water-toss any pet shop water out....you don't want to add the pet shop water to the newly set up tank...it could be a host to many nasty organism that you don't want to add to the new tank....repeat the process of adding tank water to the holding tank with the Betta until it is 100% tank water...monitor the water temps with a thermometer and once equalized-net the Betta and add him to your tank and top off the tank with fresh dechlorinated like temp water

During the acclimation period-watch the fish for distress and if any seen- decrease the amount of tank water you are adding and add it slower...sometimes it can take several hours depending on how different your source water is compared to the pet shop water....especially with Bettas that come from overseas and/or different state if he was a mail order Betta

When making water changes-make sure the replacement water is within a couple of degrees between the new and old water and always use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the fish....

Good luck and look forward to seeing pic of your new wet-pet.....
And welcome to the forum....ask all the question you need...lots of folks here ready and willing to answer and help...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-17-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #3 
chelsmarie23

One more question. Is it necessary to cycle the tank if my betta is its only occupant?
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
bettafish15

It's hard to cycle a 2.5g, so the cycle will just happen eventually.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote