Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #1 
Alanza

What to Observe?

I don't have a betta yet but I'll be getting one when we move houses. I'm going to buy the 2.5 gallon tank with a heater and filter before the move so I have it all besides the fish when I get all moved in. We have a local Petco that takes outstanding care of the fish and other animals that I'm going to be buying from but I want to know what to look for in the betta before buying it. How can I tell if there's an illness present? How do I tell if the fins are healthy? I just want to make sure that my first betta is going to be a healthy and happy one. I don't want to have a sick betta as my first betta because I won't know how to properly treat it until it's too late.
Alanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #2 
Alanza

Is there anyone willing to give a noob some advice on choosing a betta?
Alanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #3 
Aluyasha

Well, watch out for ripped up fins with edges that are black/bloody looking. Also any thing on them that resembles mold or fuzz. Make sure it is not laying at the bottom with it's fins clamped. And if it looks like it has a marble stuck in it's throat then that means it is bloated (any number of things can cause bloat).
Hmmm, what else?...
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 
bettaloverforever16

Don't buy one that has any lumps on it except if its an egg spot. It could be a turmor or something like that.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #5 
coolcucumber

Make sure there arent any frayed fins, or anything like that. No abnormal white spots. I usually choose the one that look like they are interacting with the betta in the jar next to theirs. I like the agressice guys, so i choose the puffed up guys who are flaring.Also, no wierd things hanging off of it, could be an external parasite.The stomach shouldnt be too big, because it could be bloated or have an internal parasite.I think thats the most of it, im trying to think about what else it you should think about.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

Look out for signs of illnesses-

-fuzz/mold
-abnormally large eyes
-ripped/torn fins that look brown at the edges or look to be falling apart
-The lumps are a big one...
-Anything that looks like a parasite... they can be external (you will know when you see one) or internal- the fish's poop will be white. Also, if you've noticed the fish seems to be trying to cough something up, is trying to scratch its gills on something, or is shaking its head around a lot, it most likely has parasites in its gills.
-Any sores/bruises
-The bloat, which has been explained about
-Little white spots

...And that's all I can think of for now about the illnesses.

A healthy betta will flare at a neighbour or mirror, will be colorful, active, and males might even be working on a bubblenest.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #7 
Luimeril

most bettas in cups, unless they just got there or just got a water change, are usually gonna be laying on the bottom. o.0 Dante, my most active guy, was so bored and laying at the bottom, i couldn't even get him to flare at another betta. come to think of it.... out of all my males, only Gackt, Hyde, and Weiss were active and moving, and that's only because they'd just set Gackt up that day, Hyde was still in the shipping back, and Weiss has a bowl to move about in.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #8 
baylee767

All good advice.

Also, see if the Betta will interact to you, respond, has bright colors (NOT faded), and doesn't have a huge stomach. Someone above mentioned clamped fins but you probably don't know what those are.

Clamped fins are when a bettas fins appear to be glued together at the end.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #9 
Luimeril

if you can, try to get there the day of their shipment. i find that they're alot more active once put in the cups, rather than the tiny bags they're shipped in.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #10 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
most bettas in cups, unless they just got there or just got a water change, are usually gonna be laying on the bottom. o.0 Dante, my most active guy, was so bored and laying at the bottom, i couldn't even get him to flare at another betta. come to think of it.... out of all my males, only Gackt, Hyde, and Weiss were active and moving, and that's only because they'd just set Gackt up that day, Hyde was still in the shipping back, and Weiss has a bowl to move about in.
Gackt and Hyde huh? I though I was the only one on here who likes them! My husband has a tattoo of L'arc en Ciel's Awake cd cover and my sister has Gackt's initials tattooed on her ankle (I just have the ever popular DBSK stuff tattooed all over me, if you have heard of them). :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote