Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #11 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Gackt and Hyde huh? I though I was the only one on here who likes them! My husband has a tattoo of L'arc en Ciel's Awake cd cover and my sister has Gackt's initials tattooed on her ankle (I just have the ever popular DBSK stuff tattooed all over me, if you have heard of them). :)
what sucks bad. is i LOVE Gackt and Hyde. named my bettas after them because of that. and, they're the two that got poisoned by the evil bin. D: Gackt passed, and Hyde's horridly ill. ;A; i feel horrible.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #12 
elijahfeathers

Look for fish who are active in their cups if you can-- ones who's fins are in good shape and their colors are strong.

If you're looking at a less active fish-- I always hold up a cup and put a finger next to it. If the fish notices it, I consider it-- if the fish stares lifelessly out even when I move my finger slowly, I don't pick it.

A lot of the fish, while they may be well cared for, are too cold and lethargic in the small cups. I wouldn't be too frightened to take hope a slightly less than spazzingly active fish if I fell in love with it-- but more active and in good condition is always the safer choice.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #13 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
what sucks bad. is i LOVE Gackt and Hyde. named my bettas after them because of that. and, they're the two that got poisoned by the evil bin. D: Gackt passed, and Hyde's horridly ill. ;A; i feel horrible.
Sorry to hear that. I do not name my animals after band members I like because it seems to 'curse' them, they always die or I have to give them away for one reason or another.
All my DBSK named pets, Xiah the cavy, Max the Dachshund, U-Know the Parakeet, Hero the mouse, and Micky the rabbit, died or had to rehome and so did my Fahrenheit named mice (Aaron, Calvin, Chun, Jiro), they attacked eachother one day and all got infections.
That is why all of my Bettas have randomly picked names. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #14 
Luimeril

aaww. so far, Weiss was sick with an unknown illness(he was a white HMPK. >.>: i've been told white bettas get sick easy). he was named after Weiss from Dirge of Cerberus. Freya was named after...... what was it? that bunny girl from Final Fantasy 12, i think. they're my only two that passed that was named after video game characters. Gackt and Hyde and Chappy Belle are my only real life people named fish. xD
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #15 
Aluyasha

Hmmm, I did not know white Bettas are more prone to illness. Why is that?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #16 
Luimeril

not sure. >.> that's what i was told. either way, they hide illness easily. no color fading, ick isn't that easy to spot.... Xd
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #17 
Aluyasha

I had a Betta that was mostly white and when he got ich I did not see it until it was too late.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #18 
Luimeril

well, i know Weiss didn't have ick. he stayed clamped all the time, lost all his energy. he only moved when it was feeding time, or if he wanted to lay on a different spot, but even that was rare. :< eventually, he didn't even wanna eat. he passed last fourth of July.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #19 
Aluyasha

Did he have Dropsy? That is how my female Betta acted like that when she had it.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #20 
Luimeril

no pineconing at all. trust me, i checked. asked many people on different forums. no one had a clue as to what he had. :< either way, he was the best ten bucks i've ever spent. :3 it was fate that we met, honestly. lol i wasn't looking for a new betta, but was at the pet store for something... bunny bedding, i think. a flash of white caught my eye by the bettas. i bent down to look, and saw him. he saw me and swam over, and we locked eyes. that's when i knew, i had to have him! lol i called a friend, borrowed the money(he'd given me 30 bucks, instead of the ten i asked for. lol the extra bought my brother a two gallon KK and his second betta, a CT with an attitude named George.), called the pet store and told them to hold him, that i was going to be there the next day, and i was. :3