Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 
bettamaniac

betta who eats odd food

I recently got a new betta and I have tried to feed him betta flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, and even tropical fish flakes but the only food I gave him that he would touch are sinking shrimp pellets but I don't want to have to keep feeding him that because it pollutes the water how can I get him to eat something else
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #2 
SmokeNLark

Try betta pellets. They're best for him anyway. He will eat something eventually when he gets hungry enough. If he doesn't take to the pellets right away you can soak them in garlic juice and he might find them more tasty.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #3 
bettamaniac

I would like to but my parents wont be able to take me to the store for about another 2 weeks also where am I supposed to get garlic juice

Last edited by bettamaniac; 01-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 
demonr6

mine likes grilled cheese sandwiches on Texas toast, and if it isn't sharp cheddar.. look out! The last time I tried substituting I got wet sandwich thrown in my face.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #5 
Crazykat

It's normal for a betta to not eat or be very picky when you first get them and move them to their new tank. Don't worry too much at this point. Just do water changes to keep the water clean while you're feeding him shrimp and when you get a chance get some pellets and garlic juice.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #6 
bettamaniac

I dont feed my betta shrimp I feed him sinking shrimp pellets that are designed for bottom feeding fish like cory catfish
Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #7 
Crazykat

Whoops! Misread your post. In that case, same thing applies (don't worry too much, get pellets soon). However, if you're using the sinking wafers that I've seen, you'll want to break them up into small pieces so your betta doesn't choke. I just had the...ah...privledge of watching my betta down one of those wafers in several gulps and it was pretty scary(not his food, not my intention to feed him it, he's just an extreme piggy). You might want to soak them first as well so he doesn't get constipated.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 
bettamaniac

they look more like cylinders and I would have to soak them to break them