Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Ich AND Velvet?

So, Blush, my red VT female, seems to have both Ich AND Velvet. The trouble is, she seems to have gotten WORSE since I started treating her. Also, I don't have a heater right now because the one I had fluctuated so much, that I had to return it. I don't know what to do. She is just COVERED in white spots. Her tail didn't have any yesterday that I could see, and tonight, she looks like she has a polka dotted caudal. Any suggestions for what I should do? I can't get another heater until next month. I did have a heater when I bought her, but like I said, I had to return it, and there wasn't another I could get in my price range at the time. She just seems to be suffering so much. I'm thinking she may be too far gone. I don't have pictures, but she just is getting worse. I don't want her to suffer, and it also looks like she may have a little bit of a wound in her side. It looks deeper red. Could the parasites be eating at her flesh? At this point, I would rather put her down than let her suffer anymore. Any other suggestions? Like I said, I don't have pictures, but her condition is REALLY bad. She doesn't move from her leaf hammock at all. It just breaks my heart to see her this way.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Anyone? Please. I need some advice here. I really want her to recover.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #3 
baylee767

If you have metholine blue, this usually gets most if not all the ich particles off. There is also this stuff called ich attack, I think it'll also get rid of Velvet.

I think that since freshwater ich can't stand salt, the usual 1 tsp/gallon espom (I think it's better since it has a slight anti-fungal effect) salt in a quarentine tank.

Or you could try maracyn... there are a LOT of medications that cure ich and velvet...

EDIT: if she has a wound from it... then maybe AQ salt...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I looked again, and I think the "wound" was just a shadow. I will put Epsom salt in today when I change her water. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

With Bettas I like to use the two cup method for Ich-you can't kill the Ich while it is still on the fish-so you need to get them to drop/detach from the Betta-you can get them to detach faster by raising the water temp but since you don't have a heater....you can't...also, keeping her in too cool temp will effect her immune response due to stress from-parasites, cool water and the wounds that the Ich causes when they detach

Do you have a light over the tank that you can safely set a small container on and a thermometer...if so, you can use this for your heat source but you have to monitor the temp really close so not to cook the fish-if you can't check the temp at least every hour...then don't do this.....

Get two cups-(the cups that the Bettas are sold in work great for this)-

pre mix a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and add 2tsp/gal aquarium salt-

fill both these cup ups-make sure one cup is the same temp as the fish tank water and add the Betta and cover with either the lid or plastic veggie wrap with a hole poked in it-

place both of these cup on top of the aquarium light and check water temp every hour-

your goal temp is 84-86F-remove and replace the cups as needed to maintain water temp-

Once you see most of the parasites fall off the Betta or every 24h-put her in the other cup-make sure this water is the same temp she is in

pour out that water and rinse well and leave empty for 3-4 hours to air dry and then re-fill with the salt water and place back on the light to warm up-

every 24h move her to the clean cup of salt water for at least 10 day and/or 3 days past the last day you could see any parasites on the fish..

Clean the main tank out-if this is a small tank-empty it and let it sit dry for 3 days and then re-fill with fresh clean dechlorinated water so it can age during the treatment

Keep up with the water changes and monitor for secondary infections from the wounds left by the parasites
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Ugh, just reading that confused me. I don't know if the bulb I have could get the water warm enough. It's a 1 gallon tank, and the bulb is only 4 watts. Also, the top is peaked, so I can't set it down without it wobbling around. This sucks. I feel so powerless.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up....do you have a heating pad......anything that can generate some heat....sorry to confuse you....
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Yes, I have a heating pad... somewhere. But it's old and barely gets warm at all. Honestly, my laptop gets warmer than it does. I know that sounds like an excuse, but it's 100% true.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Your heating pad may be perfect for the job since it doesn't get too hot anymore-find it and lay a piece of plastic and a towel over it and place the QT containers on it and monitor the temps...you only want 86F at the most on the temp after all......can't hurt to try.....don't use your computer...hate to have a water spill an ruin it....
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

I was just making a comparison. I wasn't going to use my computer. LOL. So I use Aqua salt, not Epsom?