Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 
Kethlas

Tetacycline for red spots and gray fins?

I just bought my new baby Camelot from the Petco where I work a week ago, and I expected him to be sick. The other bettas around him and his new brother Avalon were dying off for some reason (probably the cold, since their cups aren't heated.

Avalon is perfectly fine, however, Camelot refused to eat until just the other day, and he has lots of gray stripes and spots on his fins and scales - more show up everyday. On top of that, it looks like he has a couple red, rash-like spots on the top of his head, and a bulge on one side of his face near his gill.

He's just starting to be a little more active now - he's eaten the last few times I've fed him, and he swims around his little 1/2 gal tank now, instead kinda just drifting along the bottom. But the gray strips are starting to turn black and the red hasn't gone away. I don't think it's his natural color coming in - he was a very pretty silver white when I got him.

I bought tetracycline today because I think he has a bacterial infection - maybe septacemia? The problem is it comes in 500mg pouches of powder meant for 10 gal tanks...way too much for his little 1/2 gallon! Anyone know how many teaspoons 50mg is?

Thank you!
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry I didn't see this thread until now. You can disolve 1 packet in 10 teaspoons of water. Add 1 teaspoon of concentrate daily. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #3 
Kethlas

Thanks! I actually got a friend to do all the math for me...we're on day 3 of treatment, and he's swimming around more. However, the red spots haven't gone away (though I think one or two scales have healed up) and neither has the lump near his gill, and his fins went from grayish stripes to thick black stripes. My fiancee says its probably just his color coming in, but I'm not sure...
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #4 
Kethlas

Here are some pictures (the lump is on his other side):

This is a day or so after I first got him on Jan. 5

This is him just now - it's a little harder to get a good picture of him now, which I guess is a good thing...

Last edited by Kethlas; 01-16-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 
Kethlas

So...I completed a full course of treatment with the Tetracycline, and he's looking a little better. I mean, he's swimming around much more, at least....

However, the gray-black stripes on his fins are still there, as is the red rashy stuff on the top of his head. The bump near his left side seems to have gone down just a bit, but it's still noticible.

The box says that treatment may be repeated as necessary, but I'm not sure if I really should. I know most medicines can be lethal if overdosed or overused, so I'm kinda afraid to continue, especially since I'm not sure exactly how much it's even helping. Movement is great and all, and I'm less worried for it, but the red spots on his head and the gray fins still have me concerned.

Ideas?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #6 
BettaCavy

would also be interested in hearing about responses to the bump/head rash, as my fishie has both and I picked him up from a LFS a week ago, treated with aq salt but no result.
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I'm wondering if he's a marble and you're seeing color changes? It's so hard to tell from the dark picture. But to me it looks like marbling. If the coloring is just on his scales and not scabby or raw looking then I'd hold off on treatment to see if he continues to change. If you google pics of septicemia, you'll see it's pretty terrible looking.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #8 
Kethlas

That's what my fiancee has been saying about the fins. Dunno about the red rashy stuff though.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #9 
Kethlas

Here's a somewhat lighter pic...not much clearer though: