Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #1 
Missy2280

Split fins?

Ernies fins look like they are splitting, they arent red or irritated it just looks like a clean split. Anyone else ever see this?? Thanks!
Attached Images

Missy2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

He might have caught his fins on something or they might have torn if you use a net to get him out of the tank during cleaning. Do you have any fake plants inside of your tank that are plastic, or have silk plants with plastic stems? These decorations can snag on your betta's fins when he decides to cruise through them.

Keep his water clean and remove any plants that don't pass the "snag" test - a.k.a. if you take the plant and run it along a pair of panty hose, if it snags, it could tear your betta's delicate fins.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #3 
Missy2280

He has a real plant and silk plant in his tank, I just put the silk in and noticed these splits before I put that in. Can their fins tear from flaring a lot? Because he flares all the time.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #4 
lilchiwolf

mine had that two once, but it was from the plastic plant.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2280 View Post
He has a real plant and silk plant in his tank, I just put the silk in and noticed these splits before I put that in. Can their fins tear from flaring a lot? Because he flares all the time.
Take the silk plant out. Even though it's silk, it has a plastic support system (stems). This shredded one of my betta's fins before he decided to finish the damage with some good ol' fashioned tail-biting.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
Missy2280

Ok his fins look worse today. Not only does he have holes in them but the ends look all jagged. He is acting fine, I will take the silk plant out and see if that helps:(
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

Do a 100% water change and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water. This will help fight off infections, fin rot, etc. as his fins heal.

Keep changing his water 100% every day for the next seven to ten days, adding 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon of water each water change.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 
Missy2280

Ok thanks for the info. I changed his water and added some salt. I also took out the live plant and snail because I read salt wasnt good for either of them so I have them in a 1 gallon bowl for the moment until Ernie is better. I also baffled?? my filter so the current isnt as strong. Could that have been was stressed him and caused the fin rot? I read online stress can cause this. He has been through a lot. I bought him a week ago originally had him in a 4 gallon critter keeper and then moved him to his 5 gallon tank, poor guy:( Hopefully this will help!