Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Exclamation Discoloration in fins/Fin Rot??????

My Betta has been doing fine (He's the one that had the popeye back in December around Christmas).

He's perfectly happy in his 10 gallon filtered tank. He has a bunch of silk plants to hide in and a coffee mug that was well rinsed before being put in.

However, when I went to do his water change I noticed that he lost the color in his fins and has a not-awful case of fin rot (I caught it early, THANK GOD). His fins are normally a very pretty red color, and now they're brown, and it's a sickly brown.

This is a recent development, because I SWEAR he was not like this two days ago.

I treated him with some Maracyn Two because I have some left and it says it can be a treatment for fin rot.

I feel like he's bloated, but at the same time I don't think he is, I think it's just that he's still a bit skinny from his "I don't feel well so I'm not going to eat" phase.

I feel really bad that he keeps getting sick :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4595215...7625983285960/

There's the pictures.

I'm so worried about him :( Advice?
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 
wildmagic713

Well it must have been stress as far as the color goes, because he's already getting better and there's very little discoloration now. I think I may have scared him a little when I was changed the water.

He still has fin rot, but it's not very bad at all and I doubt it will take him long to get better.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I got confused for a minute...I thought I seen two Bettas in that tank...laffs...nice job on your back ground...

He does look a little bloated, however, if he is pooping and acting okay I wouldn't worry to much...he needs the nutrition to help get his immune response back on track since he has been sick

Keep you water really clean with some 25-50% daily water changes for a few days...be careful adding antibiotics "just because"...sometimes it can cause more harm than good for the long term health and resistant issues...best to only treat when you know what you are treating along with correct dosage and duration....more water changes are almost always the best first treatment......

Nice looking Betta too by the way and I really like your back ground.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #4 
wildmagic713

Thank you for the comment on the background, my BFF and I painted it over winter break- the Betta in it is him ;)

I'm 100% positive it's fin rot, it looks a lot like it. I'm not going to treat him with it long, just for a few days to get him started. He's swimming around fine, still curious and everything, he just looks a bit sick.

I want him to get better soon, because I'm hoping that over spring break (Which is like a month away, but whatever) I can divide up his tank and put another Betta in on the other side. If he freaks out I have a 5 gallon I can set up, but for space purposes and everything diving his tank up would be the easiest thing for me to do.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #5 
Pekemom

Good job nursing him along, Wildmagic~ Sounds like the move was stressful for him. Hope he's back to normal soon.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 
wildmagic713

Well his color is getting back to normal- I think his fins are a bit thin, because in some lights he looks just fine but in other ones they look almost transparent.

Today is the day that I always fast him (Sunday). I'm fasting him because of the bloat, but how long should I fast him? Should I fast him until his bloat goes away, or what?