Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 
Auraura

Thinking about a Betta.

Hey all. I have recently been thinking about setting up a small tank to house a Betta. I have not purchased the fish yet, and will not until I get the tank and have everything ready for him. It has been some years since I have owned a tank, but I do have quite a bit of experience in the aquarium hobby.

So I was at the pet store today and there where 5 gallon tank kits on sale, I just would like some imput from your experience. Will that be large enough to keep him happy? Is it best to leave him by himself or would a small catfish be okay? Not sure what species would fit, havn't really looked into it but any suggestions would be appreciated. I've also considered a larger apple snail if the fish option isn't really doable. Either way, I don't really want to get into a larger tank with alot of fish so that is not an issue. I want to stock it with live plants so he will have hiding places.

I guess all I really want to know is if this sounds acceptible or not. Any imput and advice would be appreciated.
Auraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 
bettafish15

A 5 gallon would be great! :D Make sure to get a heater! There arent any catfish that can go in a 5g though, but if you got a 10g you could have some cories :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraura View Post
Hey all. I have recently been thinking about setting up a small tank to house a Betta. I have not purchased the fish yet, and will not until I get the tank and have everything ready for him. It has been some years since I have owned a tank, but I do have quite a bit of experience in the aquarium hobby.

So I was at the pet store today and there where 5 gallon tank kits on sale, I just would like some imput from your experience. Will that be large enough to keep him happy? Is it best to leave him by himself or would a small catfish be okay? Not sure what species would fit, havn't really looked into it but any suggestions would be appreciated. I've also considered a larger apple snail if the fish option isn't really doable. Either way, I don't really want to get into a larger tank with alot of fish so that is not an issue. I want to stock it with live plants so he will have hiding places.

I guess all I really want to know is if this sounds acceptible or not. Any imput and advice would be appreciated.
A betta and a snailly pal would be super happy in there! Especially if its well planted, he'd be in betta heaven :D
I dont know much about snails, etc (try the compatibility threads..) but as for the betta, great! :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #4 
Aluyasha

Golden Apple snails would get too large for the tank. You could try a small type of Apple snail or a Giant Ramshorn Snail or even a Mystery Snail. Those types of snails only get about the size of a ping pong ball fully grown and can only reproduce by mating. Unlike other types of snails that are unisex...do not want to end up with a billion baby snails. :)
Watch out though, some Bettas even hate snails, my Betta, Abacus, killed my Giant Ramshorn.
But a 5 gallon would be perfect for a Betta, you could also try some Ghost Shrimp as some friends.

Last edited by Aluyasha; 01-18-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #5 
scootshoot

Since you are not in a hurry wait for a good sale on a 5 gallon. Not sure if this sale is still going on but Lionmom shared a link a week ago on a Hawkeye 5 gallon setup for 20 some odd dolllars which is a steal. You won't find a 5 gallon setup this cheap...

Here is the link to Lionmom's thread...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=59861
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with what's already been said. I think shrimp or snails would be fine if your betta will tolerate them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #7 
Lordsameth

My Betta seems quite happy in his 5 gallon tank. a catfish wouldn't work too well, as the tank isn't big enough and they can get a little aggressive ( You should see my tiger barbs going at it with my stupid little catfish, he will swim right into the school and cause drama)

I keep my Betta solo, but perhaps a smaller type snail, or shrimps would work, depending on your Betta's nature.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote