Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 
Slayers

10 Gal water changes

I have a 10 gal tank that I have had running for 3 weeks now and I know its not fully cycled but this weekend my petco is having a sale on Betta's so I plan I picking 1 up. What kind of water changes will I have to make since its not fully cycled?

And how do you people with the bigger tanks do it do you just take a bucket or something and scoop it out or is there a better way?
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of filter are you using and how have you been cycling the tank or method you are using....

In 10g filtered tank cycled-1-50% with substrate vacuuming weekly should maintain water quality

In 10g filtered during the cycling-twice week 50% water changes-1-water only and 1-to include the substrate vacuuming

Best method to clean 10g is with a vacuum or siphon-you can get the siphon/vacuum tube set-ups that will work with 10g tank fairly cheap-usually under $10.00 for the smaller ones...you can also do the stir and dip method with a bucket and plastic cup

What are your water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...you may be closer to the completed nitrogen cycle than you think...depending on your methods.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #3 
Slayers

I use a Penguin 100b Filter and was doing the cycle with pure ammonia. I will take readings later tonight since I have not taken them since this weekend.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 
Slayers

Ok took reading on the tank and they are

ammonia=1.0pp,
Nitrite=0 ppm
Nitrate=0 ppm

Should I wait for ammonia to come down or will it be ok to put a fish in the tank?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You are not cycled

You need to make water changes to get the ammonia down to at least 0.25ppm...0ppm is ideal before you put the fish in the tank....

I would also check your source water for ammonia-test it both with and without dechlorinator to make sure it is not ammonium....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #6 
Slayers

Ok Thank you for the info I guess I will do a few water changes and try to get the level down.