Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Getting ready to breed, couple quick questions!

So I am going to be getting my Betta fish probably around the end of this month. Right now I have all the supplies I need to get started minus the female betta. My tank is cycling and should get done just in time. If not, I have a seperate bowl for the female to stay in. Anyways back to my topic, I had a few quick questions.

I have a 10 gallon that is cycling now for the breeding tank. I have 20 lbs of Substrate i would like to add to this tank. 1. When would be the best time to add that?

I am also getting frogbit and amazon sword plants for the fry to hide in and the female to hide in. After the spawning, I know I should take the female out. 2. But when do i take the male out? Do i take him out after he's collected all the eggs and they are in place or after the eggs hatch and the fish are free swimming I should take him out? Would the best time to add the substrate be right after I take the female out and it looks like the male is done picking up all the eggs?
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Its pointless to cycle a spawning tank. Also the tank must bare bottomed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #3 
jschristian44

thats not what i heard...you mean even after the fish hatch, i cant add gravel? should i just add the substrate when im done spawning? id like to still keep the tank afterwards for like 4 female betta and some tetras. right now the shrimp has been in there almost half a week. its already detereating pretty bad. what should i do? if i want to use this same tank afterwards as a real tank, can i just cycle it now?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

You can add substrate to the tank and heavily plant it. Just remember that just because the tank is cycled doesn't mean you don't have to still do daily water changes. A cycled tank will help with potential ammonia swings but it will not remove the stunting hormone in the water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #5 
jschristian44

ah yes i know this.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 
nOOb iHACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
thats not what i heard...you mean even after the fish hatch, i cant add gravel? should i just add the substrate when im done spawning? id like to still keep the tank afterwards for like 4 female betta and some tetras. right now the shrimp has been in there almost half a week. its already detereating pretty bad. what should i do? if i want to use this same tank afterwards as a real tank, can i just cycle it now?
I agree. You should have a bare bottom tank to spawn. Focus on getting lots of plants instead of gravel. It would be stupid to add gravel after your betta spawn. Be patient and get another tank or tub so you can move the fry and grow them out. Then you can decorate the main tank and have a separate spawning tank as well.

I currently have 2 5 gal spawning tubs, 1 10 gal grow-out tank, 14 gal. BioCube sorority and each of the males are in a 1 gallon tank. If you are planning on breeding you are going to need more than one tank.
nOOb iHACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

My breeding setup is a 4 gallon tub with about 3 inches of very dark water (from IAL), a 50 watt heater set to 82F-86F, and a plastic plant. I no longer use a nest anchor.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #8 
jschristian44

how big can a tank be for a growout tank? can i use a 2g or is that way too small. this 10 gallon i would like as my main tank with all the decor/lighting/plants in it eventually. but for now its a betta fry tank. i plan on mating my male/female in there and raising the betta in there. then afterwards i can use it as my real tank right?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 20 gallon or larger should be used for a growout tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #10 
jschristian44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
A 20 gallon or larger should be used for a growout tank.

that depends on how many live, this is my first time...