Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #1 
mrfishybetta

Very constipated betta - Please help!

My rescue betta, Mr. Fishy, is sick, but I am at a loss as to how to help him! I am 100% sure he is constipated (hasn't passed a poo in over 2 weeks); it doesn't seem to be affecting him otherwise though, which almost makes me even more worried. He is active, responsive, and certainly interested in food. I have tried fasting him, then feeing a pea (no effect), then fasting again for several days and another pea (no effect), then fasting for 5 days and still no poops! I special ordered him some frozen daphnia and have given him little bits of this for the past 3 days and still nothing! I am afraid he is going to pop I hate bouncing his feeding routine all around, but I don't know if I should keep feeding daphnia, stop feeding altogether or what?

Housing
What size is your tank? - 1g temporary (the one I rescued him in) while his new 5g cycles
What temperature is your tank? - Was at ~74, now at ~77 for the last 2 days (the only heater I have is in the 5g to grow bacteria, so I have a spaceheater heating the whole room to 80)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? - Yes, via ambient air temp
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - He was on flakes, Omega One Betta Flakes and Tetra's Betta Flakes with little freeze dried bits of shrimp (?) before all this started
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times/day, what to me looked like small amounts

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - ~3 times per week, 2 50%, and 1 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - dechlorinator and a bit of AQ salt (which I have read can be contributin to his issues, so in the last 2 days I have switched him to plain water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 usually
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: about 6, which is what he is used to
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I can see that he looks more pudgy than normal, belly a little big/whiter than normal, NOT huge/distended, no pineconing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He has had constipation issues since I rescued him, but only with the last 2.5 weeks has it been bad
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fasting, then a pea, then repeat, fast for 5 days, and now for the last 3 days have been feeding small bits of daphnia. I'm afraid to feed him flakes or pellets in case he explodes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he as had issues passing poops since I rescued him, but this is the worst it's been. The pea treatment always worked before
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea, I've had him for about 2.5 months

What can I do for my boy? In every other regard, he seems just fine! My plan was to see if the plain (no salt as I read it can cause them to retain fluids thus blocking them up) water, daphnia, and higher temp works over the next few days, and then try to do an epsom salt dip 3 days in a row, and after that possibly start treating with meds? I don't want to stress him out with meds and a salt bath in the same day, or do you think that would be ok? I was planning to try Jungle's fungus cure as it says it can help with some bacterial infections.

Should I stop feeing him altogether? I know they can go weeks without food, but if 5 days didn't do anything, I don't want to starve him for no reason. We love him so much! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
mrfishybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

first off, never feed peas. They can harm his digestive system. bettas cannot digest plant protein so the pea can harm his digestive track or get stuck in it.

next, you need to get better foods. Flakes and freeze dried foods cause bloating and constipation. You should switch to pellets - either Omega One or New Life Spectrum.

You should add 1 teaspoon per gallon of Epsom Salt to his tank (do not do baths). Dissolve the salt in conditioned water first and then slowly add it to the tank over the course of an hour.

If after a week the Epsom Salt doesn't work, try use API General Cure.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #3 
Greenapp1es

^+1 to the food advice and epsom salt. If he's that constipated and daphnia hasn't helped, Epsom Salt is probably the best bet to get things...erm...flowing.

I'd also recommend switching between fasting and daphnia until this is settled. You don't want to feed "normal" food if it's just going to build up. Fast 3 days and then give some daphnia...if he doesn't go, repeat. Hopefully between that and the epsom salt you can get him moving again.

As for the food, you *might* be able to continue the freeze dried shrimp as a treat *IF YOU REHYDRATE IT FIRST*. Take a cap of water and soak the shrimp for several minutes to let them expand before feeding, that way they don't expand so much in his stomach. Frozen might be safer though since he's already having constipation issues. Ditch the flakes for pellets. Again, they can expand in his stomach after eating causing problems.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #4 
mrfishybetta

Oh! I read that peas can be alright if used sparingly, and as they always worked before I figured it was ok �� So no more peas! Got it! And the only reason I used flakes on him is because they had waaaay less fillers than all the pellets in the store. I was trying to do good for him - I will certainly do the presoak method from now on! With the daphnia, I've actually been thawing it in Epsom salt water then tweezering them out (so tiny!) into his tank.

With the Epsom salt- so he would be in it continuously then? Would I do 100% water changes every day? My problem is that I only have a 1g for him (while his 5g cycles) - how would you recommend I go about using salts since I can't really add a gallon to the 1g tank. He is prone to stress easily, poor thing. Is stress te reason you recommend him being in it over a bath?

So many questions, I just want to help him! Thank you!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #5 
Greenapp1es

Being in the tank allows more time for it to work with his system. I've seen some people recommend baths and some people recommend just adding to the tank, I think either can be effective for different things but the biggest factor is dosage. I'd probably add to the tank in your situation, but I think that you wouldn't want him on the "treating" dose for more than 10 days. Someone else can probably confirm though.

For adding the epsom salt 1 gallon while the tank cycles, you'd just dissolve the dosage for the 1 gallon in a small amount of water and slowly add it to the tank over an hour or so. Then, keep up with that dose with water changes...and do a large water change after the treatment is done.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #6 
mrfishybetta

Ah ok, so as in since my tank will only hold about a gallon, I should just dissolve the 1tsp in a small cup of water and slowly add that? I was confused because I was wondering how to squash two gallons into a one gallon tank, ha. Sorry, I just want to be very clear on what you're instructing so I don't flub it!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #7 
VivianKJean

I said 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. So yes in your one gallon add 1 teaspoon and if you end up moving in to the 5 gallon then do 5 teaspoons....
Old 12-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #8 
Greenapp1es

Also, something I just saw and something to consider -

If you only have one heater and it's in the 5G tank, it may be better for your guy to do an in-fish cycle with that tank rather than have him in a smaller, *unheated* tank. I guess the question with that is how effectively you're keeping the temperature in the smaller tank up, if it's at 77 CONSISTENTLY then fine, but if it's fluctuating or dropping it may be worth it to move him.

I'm in-fish cycling my 5G right now. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but you can keep the in-fish cycling method safe for your guy if you choose to do so buy using Seachem Prime as your water conditioner and adding 1 drop per gallon inbetween changes. This binds ammonia into it's harmless form, while still keeping it in the tank for the cycle to continue.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #9 
VivianKJean

I agree with the above.

i've always done fish in cycled with bettas. Just make sure you have Seachem Prime for a water conditioner and test the water every day and change the water when the ammonia or nitrite reaches .25ppm-.50ppm
Old 12-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #10 
mrfishybetta

Thank you both very much! I'll be starting him in Epsom salt today!

Oh and his tank temp is consistent - my space heater is getting put through the wringer - I check the tank thermometer every few hours and it never wavers :)