Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 
coolcucumber

URGENT! He fell far!

I took my new betta out, and he jumped about 2-3 feet and hit the ground. he flopped once, and stopped. i quickly grabbed him and put him in a bowl, but hes not moving much. i put a pinch of aquarium salt in, but will be be okay?
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Thats a hard one, it depends on the betta, when i was little i rember having a betta and it jumping out, the next day it died, and i was told casue it got the nasty stuff from the floor on its skin, ect dunno hopfully he will be ok.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 
Malvolti

There are a lot of factors that can affect his recovery. The only thing you can do is daily water changes, a bit of aquarium salt and hope for the best.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

wow thatsquite a fall,its always so tremadic when the jump or fall.He could be in shock or he could of really hurt himself give him a little while longer to recover and see how he is doing he could just be sore too.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 
coolcucumber

okay. whew. i hope he gets better. hes so gorgoeous, i bought him 45mins ago. I took him out of his bowl and he jumped. D:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 
coolcucumber

Well, he seems alright. He still isnt too active, though D:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

If the stress from being new and jumping does not stress the betta to death causing disease, he should be fine. The greatest danger of a betta fish flipping out is dessication and the stress to the betta. Bettas are generally tough fish. I occasionally have bettas flip out when I open the tank to feed them and not a single loss or injury from a 2 ft fall onto carpet. I hope your betta is ok.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

I had something similar happen. My nephew accidentally knocked over my fish Cleo's 2 gallon tank. the tank broke and my fish was on the floor. He is ok but he soon got a case of finrot/ fungus a week after. I would keep a close eye on him make sure his water is a good warm temperature and make sure to do the aquarium salt.I got some stress-coat for my cleo..not to sure if it is working, but it has aloe in it.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 
coolcucumber

okay, thanks. Yea, he feel on to hardwood though, so it was harder. Im waiting to get another 5 gal, so ive got 4 bettas in a 5gal right now, 3 floating in bowls to keep the temp up. I should be getting a new one before the weeked, and i feel bad having them all in there right now. but, its better then having cold water, right?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #10 
mjbn

You have the 5G divided right? just making sure cuz 4 male bettas in one undivided tank is World War III:O
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote