Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #1 
Alanza

New to Bettas...

A while back I recieved two used 1 gallon fish tanks from two friends who used to have fish of their own. They decided against having more because their cat had kittens and they assumed that a fish wouldn't enjoy living in a house full of cats. I didn't think much of the tanks and never decided to use them until now. Reading on bettas helped me realize that they'd rather have a 2.5 gallon tank to call their home. Is it safe to place a betta in a 1 gallon tank until I can buy a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater? Before I buy the betta I'll have to move to our new house which shouldn't be too far from now. We are waiting for our house to finally close. We gave them a deadline for the 21st of this month. I'm going to use this time to earn some money to get the 2.5 gallon with the filter and heater.
Alanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanza View Post
A while back I recieved two used 1 gallon fish tanks from two friends who used to have fish of their own. They decided against having more because their cat had kittens and they assumed that a fish wouldn't enjoy living in a house full of cats. I didn't think much of the tanks and never decided to use them until now. Reading on bettas helped me realize that they'd rather have a 2.5 gallon tank to call their home. Is it safe to place a betta in a 1 gallon tank until I can buy a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater? Before I buy the betta I'll have to move to our new house which shouldn't be too far from now. We are waiting for our house to finally close. We gave them a deadline for the 21st of this month. I'm going to use this time to earn some money to get the 2.5 gallon with the filter and heater.
Unless you can get a heater for that one gallon, I would hold off on it! Heaters are very important. You can get away easily with not getting a filter, so perhaps hold back on that and get the tank quicker :)
Heaters for such small tanks arent easy to come by, either.
You can get a temporary home for a betta in a Rubbermaid-type bin (theyre cheap! :D Like 5 bucks for a smallish clear one. You can calculate the amount of gals by LxWxH/231 :3), it'd be easier to heat and you could get it as soon as you have the heater and bin. This should be a temp home though.
If youre moving, take that into consideration before buying. Would you be comfortable moving with the little fishie in your lap for the drive?
They sell 2.5 gals in glass at Petsmart for not too much, Id say under $10! (sans a lid..), try there! :D

Good luck!

ps. if you DO go ahead and use them, WASH THEM VERY VERY VERY WELL!! Icky things can be transferred... No soap or anything but hot hot (boiling almost even!) water!! Rinse and wipe them a million jillion times :P
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
Alanza

I'd feel comfortable with moving the betta in my lap but for the sake of the fish I'm going to buy it after I move to our new house. I don't want the fish to get too stressed from the move. We do not have a Petsmart near me but we do have Meijer, Wal-Mart, and Petco that sell fish supplies including tanks, heaters, and filters. I'd prefer to go to Petco since they're a more proper pet store. The Petco by us cleans out the containers and tanks as needed. I know this because I sat and watched them clean out every betta and fish tank that they had and not once have I visited to find any of the fish dead, filthy, or stressed. If you recommend putting off buying the fish until I get the actual 2.5 gallon tank with the filter and heater then I will since everyone here is way more experienced than I am.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 
fishman12

Yeah put it off until you have the money.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #5 
bettafish15

I'd wait until you have the 2.5g and a heater :) Saves you money that way.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Yeah, Petco's awesommee! I wish we had one :c Theyve got gorgeous fish...
Walmart and Mejier (from what Ive heard) arent great places for fish, so try and get a petco one and dont give buisness to big bad Wallyworld or Mejier! >:D
And great! Take pictures when you do! Have fun and welcome to the addictive world of bettas XD <3
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 
Alanza

Then it's decided. I'll wait until I have the 2.5 gallon tank with the heater and filter. It won't be long until I get the money from my dad. I worked for him in order to get $40. I can't wait to visit Petco. My head is about to explode from thinking about it.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanza View Post
Then it's decided. I'll wait until I have the 2.5 gallon tank with the heater and filter. It won't be long until I get the money from my dad. I worked for him in order to get $40. I can't wait to visit Petco. My head is about to explode from thinking about it.
Awesome! Make sure to get some sort of substrate (gravel, marbles (flat), rocks, sand), some soft plants (feel them to check!), some good noms (try pellets!), and a nice kind of conditioner. There are tonnss of conditioners out there, but most are the same thing I have one that uses drops to measure out how much is needed per gallon! I got it at walmart.
Have fuuunnnnnnnnnn! X3
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

I know the feeling!! The people here gave u great advice, no sense in repeating it.
Oh and welcome to the forum
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #10 
Alanza

I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun when I'm ready to adopt my first betta. What is Ammonia Chloramine Eliminator? I know it kills Ammonia and Chloramine but what is it exactly? Is it some sort of conditioner or something else? I hope I'm not too much of a noob for my first betta.