Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #11 
Luimeril

most Petcos are. :/ it's for the money, not the fish. or the kids who get attached to their fishies, only for them to die a week later thanks to the horrid care tips the stores give. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #12 
bettamaniac

the betta cups at my walmart are usually clean but sometimes are filthy and they have less water than that
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #13 
Jayy

Thats the dirtiest bettacup I'm ever seen in my life! Thats just plain laziness for a cup to be that dirty. The only thing that compares is the time I saw two bettas in ONE cup. This makes sad because if this was a dog in need it would be in a nice, clean, and warm place in a sec. Few people care about fish and even fewer care about them as much as us. People make me sick with things like this. My Wal-mart is fine,but could use some improvment.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #14 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
so, we all hate the nasty, disgusting conditions many pet stores/walmart keep their bettas in. well, a user on here posted this:

i may be wrong, but isn't something like that... like... a health violation? nasty, dirty, germy, stinky, disgusting, stagnant water, sitting around in cups that are probably often dumped. that cup there, has a crack in it, and you know the nasty, dirty, germy, stinky, disgusting, stagnant water drips out of said crack.

can't places like walmart, petco, petsmart, ect get in trouble with, like... DHEC, or something for things like that? add in all the dead, fungusy, rotting betta corpses, and you have all sorts of nasties added into it.

just a random thought that popped into my mind today while thinking about things like that.

would this also fall into animal cruelty?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #15 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
most Petcos are. :/ it's for the money, not the fish. or the kids who get attached to their fishies, only for them to die a week later thanks to the horrid care tips the stores give. >.>;
Speaking of which when I was at PetSmart the other day getting ghost shrimps there was a mother there getting a new male betta for her two lil boys she kept saying to them they were getting a new one cause the old one day and she did not want to get one that looked like the other one I wanted to ask her questions bout it but seemed pointless cause she sounded.....controling I kept thinking in my head the other probely died cause it was in a small container with no water changes

BTW I bet a person can get sick from those cups. You can get e coli and salmonella poisioning from human feces so I am sure water that bad has somthing lurking in it. The thing is you would have to have proof your illness came from those cups. I am sure if it reported to the health department something can be done. I called once for something else unrelated and I think an option was to report an illness, something in question, code violation....something like that. You thenk take the water to them and they will test it for free and see if it has bacteria or whatever in it things can be done just someone haves to step up to the plate
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #16 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
things can be done just someone haves to step up to the plate
LOL I would most deffiantly, but im in Australia. lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

It probably wouldn't be considered as animal cruelty because it's "just a fish".
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #18 
Luimeril

who knows? i think it differs from state to state on whether fish count in the animal cruelty laws. i know betta fighting is illegal in my state, because they count as "Vertebrates", and the law doesn't say otherwise.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #19 
MrVampire181

This reminds me of something.....it's not reccomended to flush dead fish because of the possibility of contaminating water supplies....tehcnically they CAN get in trouble.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #20 
Titus Flame

That poor betta, having to live in that water, that is probably prime fin-rot conditions. I hope somebody bought him and gave him a huge, beautiful, clean home.
Titus Flame is offline   Reply With Quote