Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Can someone explain color genetics to me?

Yes I know it takes awhile to explain... and I know that most people aren't willing to write up that much data, but if you are, can you explain it to me in a way that's easy to understand? I've read the Bettysplendins and such guide to colors, but it doesn't quite make sense to me . If I'm to breed I need to look up the genetics, after all. I understand that there are 4 layers of color cells (yellow, red, black, iridescent) And not much else. I've learned how to interpret this in school once... but I forgot

Wow sorry to be difficult /= I just have a hard time understanding things if they're written the wrong way (And I'm not the smartest in science...).
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #2 
nOOb iHACK

Here is a link to information I found useful:

http://www.freewebs.com/krishsbettas/bettagenetics.htm
nOOb iHACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

The first thing I would suggest is researching about genetics in general. Punnet squares, phenotype, genotype, etc. Once you have a basic understanding of genetics in general it becomes a little easier to grasp the genetics of fish.

After you've done that research then you'll be able to come back with more specific questions.

If I have time I'll try to dig up some useful links on the basics of genetics. You also might try your local book store or library.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #4 
baylee767

Oh no I already learned about genetics I'm not that young LOL.

It's just IDK what... but I was reading it and it was just words, not really taking anything in /=

I always do this with science stuff 0.0 usually only if someone explains in real life or puts it with not too many science terms I don't zone out. I wish I were different... /= I guess it's kind of impossible to explain like I wanted... so I'm going to have to try really hard to take in the words... *twitch*
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

I've ran into trouble with genetics as well...takes quite sometime. Things like: geno, pheno, dominant, recessive, etc. My strong points in betta genetics are: black (three types...melano, super, devil), cambodian, red, and I somewhat understand opaque, marble, and butterfly.

I don't understand punnet squares at all....I just can't wrap my head around it.

Kinda random...I rock at science but math I fail....even when the two are connected.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #6 
baylee767

NOOb iHACk... Thanks for the link!

Things were much easier to understand! Green turqouise seems SOOO much easier to breed then what I like the best... But yellow marbles would be cool, you would have such a fry variety and I kind of LOVE the look of a yellow with multiple colors.

I'm starting to somewhat understand this. If/when I breed, yellow or green HMPK's are definatly good sounding for me seeing as I love these colors and they are simpl-ish to breed. But... aren't cellophone those tannish clearish Bettas? That would be the downside to the marble... I REALLY don't want to breed cellophones.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
NOOb iHACk... Thanks for the link!

Things were much easier to understand! Green turqouise seems SOOO much easier to breed then what I like the best... But yellow marbles would be cool, you would have such a fry variety and I kind of LOVE the look of a yellow with multiple colors.

I'm starting to somewhat understand this. If/when I breed, yellow or green HMPK's are definatly good sounding for me seeing as I love these colors and they are simpl-ish to breed. But... aren't cellophone those tannish clearish Bettas? That would be the downside to the marble... I REALLY don't want to breed cellophones.
Cellophane is just a colorless betta...I like em!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #8 
baylee767

Oh like ghost shrimp? Why don't we call them ghost Bettas? Okay good I thought they were tan Bettas.

Yellow marbles me wanty right now. The fry will all be yellow and of course there will be the variety thanks to the marble. And I think people would want yellows more than blues. I kind of wanted to breed copper, but that one is too confusing for me. So, what exactly is good finage on a HMPK? I'm considering that tail type.

How much should it cost to breed? I wont be selling on aquabid because I don't want to kill Bettas during shipping, so any ideas as to how to advertise? I'm thinking craigslist, because I doubt there's a "Hawaii Betta club" Or something. So to figure out the cost you can take out shipping.

I already have a 20 gallon tub that I can use for grow out. But I wont be breeding for awhile still, I need to get all of my supplies! You know what, NVM. Don't answer any of those questions, I'm going to start a new thread Lol.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I suggest joining the IBC and reading the standards :) Also the BetterBettas yahoo group is great!!!