Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #1 
Lordsameth

Tear in his right fin, looks painful!

So my Betta Biscotti is in a filtered 5 gallon tank, at 75 degrees. I just did a 50% water change today, adding conditioner. I normally do a weekly change of 20%. The water is 0 for ammonia.

His right fin seems torn nearly in half, and I'm not sure how he did it. I am a little concerned as it is slowing him down and he is resting more, but with the way he powers them to propel himself I am scared he may tear it more. His appetite seems decreased, which is a worry because he is a big eater, but he also jumped for food twice today, and after only one pellet this evening he stopped trying for food, which isn't like him. He is being treated with aquarium salt.

It doesn't seem life threatening, it just looks painful.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordsameth View Post
So my Betta Biscotti is in a filtered 5 gallon tank, at 75 degrees. I just did a 50% water change today, adding conditioner. I normally do a weekly change of 20%. The water is 0 for ammonia.

His right fin seems torn nearly in half, and I'm not sure how he did it. I am a little concerned as it is slowing him down and he is resting more, but with the way he powers them to propel himself I am scared he may tear it more. His appetite seems decreased, which is a worry because he is a big eater, but he also jumped for food twice today, and after only one pellet this evening he stopped trying for food, which isn't like him. He is being treated with aquarium salt.

It doesn't seem life threatening, it just looks painful.
Keep the salt thing going. Also, check ALL the things in his tank for sharp edges. That's probably the culprit. To check if it'd rip a fin, run it over hosery and see if it snags. that's a good indicator.
Keep the tank warm, and if you can, put something (like a clean mug, no soap) in so he can rest on that nearish the water line, away from the substrate which can rot his fins if he lays too long.
Picture? :o
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Oh, and the tank is a little cool. If at all possible, try raising the temp to more in the 77-81 degree range. If its your heater doing it and is preset, try wrapping your tank in plastic wrap or a scarf (lol!) to keep the ambient coolness out and warmth in. If you want, cover the top (but still leave room for air to come in!) and that'll help quite a bit.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

I think 20% a week is a little under done if the tank doesnt have plants in it. Also If your treating him with Aquarium salt it whould be best to put him in a cup and tape it to the side of his main tank also covering it so he dosnt jump out. Im not shure if Aquarium Salt is good for live plants if you do have them so thats why I say quarintene him that way. If no live plants in his tank or in the cup the changes whould have to be done 100% a day for a week then 50 % a week after that I think.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Aquarium salt shouldn't really be used for more than 10 days or long term..
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #6 
Lordsameth

Hmmm I tried taking pictures but his fins are transparent so I couldn't get any.

Today his appetite is back to normal. I did a sweep of the tank for things to cause the tear and tore off a plant from his rock, but I don't think it was the culprit.

Looking back I think he did it while exploring the new tank setup. I remember he was at the bottom under a plant he never really like, and when I got close to have a look he darted into the bottom of the plant, pulling it up and knocking rocks everywhere.

He is resting comfortably on one of his plants, and seems to be doing great! There is a start to a bubble nest in one corner, so I'm thinking he is just fine. A few days of rest and keeping a close eye on him should do the trick!
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote