Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #1 
motten06

Exclamation Very Confused :D

My Betta Steve is acting weird.i put him in a different tank,and hes always at the bottom, (i know its the stress) but this morning he was behind the filter.
i looked at him,his colors are still very vibrant, but underneath his neck is silver,not sure if that was there before,but its there now .please help me
my tank is a Mini Bow 2.5 with a Tetra Whisper filter.

Thank You,

Mack & Steve
motten06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #2 
Creat

What temperature is the tank? Betta need to be kept around 80*F if you dont have a heater he might be lethargic and wont want to move around. Also how often do you clean the tank? and how much water do you change? Did you cycle the tank before you put him in or does it not have a filter? And is it his scales that are silver or is it something on them? Sorry for all the questions :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #3 
motten06

uhh. No heater. the water gets pretty warm on its own during the day. I never had a heater before and ive had many a betta. it has a filter. the scales are what seem silver and his colors are still really vibrant but he was not ever really active. i clean the tank every 1-2 weeks (the filter does a great job).

thank you for responding
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #4 
HarleyRigid

OFL is like Yoda... the force is strong in that one.

Hi Motten
I would suggest more water changes. OFL (OldFishLady) would be able to give you more definate answers but straight away I would say more water changes. Your filter may be doing its job of keeping the water clean but ammonia (a fish by-product) can build up fairly quickly and can easily become fatal.
I borrowed this from the sticky about betta care:
Maintenance:

A betta needs some sort of maintenance, as would any other fish. They are not "magic fish" and can take care of themselves. Here is a list to insure the best care of your betta in which you, the owner, must provide.

1) Weekly Water changes. A filter cannot take out everything in the water. Would you like to live in your own poop? This is why bettas need regular water changes.
A betta tank should never need 100% water changes unless working with medications. Too drastic of a change in water params can cause illness and death to any fish. Bettas can withstand more than the average tropical fish, and 50% changes are good for them if done frequently enough. The smaller the tank size the more frequent the water changes should be done. Anything under 2.5 gallons should have a 50% change every other day. 2.5 and more should have 50% changes at least twice/wk. If a filter is running in the tank, 50% changes once/wk are usually plenty.
2) Testing Water. You need to keep an eye out for your bettas water paramaters. Water params are nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, and water hardness. A good liquid test kit will help determine what is in the water. Ammonia and nitrite should be at 0, and nitrates under 20. The pH level should be between 6-7.5. If any levels seem wrong, do a water change to get clean water in the tank.

Hope you find this helpful and here is the link to the sticky if you want to read the whole thing

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Best of luck
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #5 
HarleyRigid

P.S. Would also advise a heater... though the water may be warm enough during the day it will drop at night. Not sure if this contributes to your particular problem but Im sure your betta would like a more stable temp.
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #6 
motten06

He's doing a lot better now , his colors coming back little by little.hes more active now as well.

Thanks for the help everyone

Mack & Steve