Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 
anthonyt20

Unhappy purple glow on scales please hellp

hi mi female betta has some purpulish color on outside of scales she seems to be sick but its the only thing that i can see difrent on her i also have another female that has lost some scales i quarantined both and am trating with betta revive this all happened when i introduced a new male with the same purple color but he is a red crowntail it cant be seened only when i shine my light on them i thought it was velvet but it doesnt seem like rust or gold please help me i dont know what to do and ive never heard of this before
anthonyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyt20 View Post
hi mi female betta has some purpulish color on outside of scales she seems to be sick but its the only thing that i can see difrent on her i also have another female that has lost some scales i quarantined both and am trating with betta revive this all happened when i introduced a new male with the same purple color but he is a red crowntail it cant be seened only when i shine my light on them i thought it was velvet but it doesnt seem like rust or gold please help me i dont know what to do and ive never heard of this before
Could you post a picture, please? A purple glow strikes me as something with iridescence.. it's natural and perfectly healthy. Velvet has a golden "dusty" glow, so a purple glow shouldn't be anything.

She seems to be sick? Other than her "glow", what symptoms is she showing?

How many females are you housing together? Are you housing them together with males without breeding intent?

Females need to be in a sorority (small group) of at least 5 females to establish a "pecking order". Any less than 5 females, then they'll get bullied to death by the alpha female. If you have males housed with your females, then either the male or the female will kill the other...males should remain solitary unless you are intending to breed, in which case should be conditioned with the proper setup for a spawn.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #3 
anthonyt20

i tried my best to take a picture lol but its impossible to see the color she seems stressed she is in a community of 4 other females 5 in total and a small peaceful male the new male that i bought has it too and he doesnt eat and just lays at the bottom the female is not eating as she used to and has the stress line too the male seems too young to even think about breeding and has never once attacked a female its one big female that rules them all lol except the male ill try to take a better picture since the one i have it cant be seen. i dont know if having the water at 76-78 could be the problem i am waiting on my heaters from pet mountain but it seems to take longer than what i expected ill see when i can borough the camera for the pics
anthonyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 
bettafish15

The males probably really stressed... and I'm sure all the girls are too. I'd move the male into his own tank, please. It doesnt matter if the male is too young, males and females cant be housed together unless breeding and I think your a long way off from doing that. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with bettafish15.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote