Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 
Sbanana7

Question Flying with Bettas!?

2 of my boys are about to make a trip from NYC to CA....how would we go about this?!

My mom lives in CA but is here in NYC visiting me- she leaves on Thursday. I need to know the best way for her to get them safely to Sacramento. The total travel time (cab time and flying tie) is going to be 10-12 hours.

Any suggestions on the safest way for them to the CA safely?

Many thanks!
Sbanana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #2 
Sbanana7

Bump!!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #3 
DragonFish

I suggest packing and shipping them to your moms house, I highly doubt they'd allow you to carry the bettas on the plane.

You'll have to search about on the forum and on google for how to ship...I had a few sites, but I can't seem to find them at the moment >_<; I'll let you know if I do though.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #4 
LoneHowler

the liquids rules won't allow them in the cabin, and its a very bad idea to put them in the unpressurized cargo. I agree ship them.
I think we should have a letter writing campain for allowing fish into the cabin, after all the liquids have to be harmless if there is a living creature in them
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #5 
LoneHowler

Posting again, I sent letters to both TSA and CATSA (Canadian TSA) hopefully they will change their policy in regards to fish. after all fish can only survive in water so they should be allowed because they are proof enough that the liquid is ok
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #6 
xxabc

Well you know how nitpicky airplanes can be (for very good reason). Doesn't matter if the water is safe for the fish, there may be ... something in the water that we can ... make something out of. Like, just because it's safe for a fish doesn't mean we still can't do something with it. Always be doubtful and pessimistic when it comes to danger in flying airplanes and whatnot (safety first!). I honestly would understand if they don't allow fish on cabins hundreds of years from now.

But, another +1 on shipping to your mom's house. Hopefully they'll be okay! Research extensively on shipping ...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #7 
Sbanana7

I'm sorry, I should have specified--
I'm well aware that they can't go in the cabin with her. I was wondering for more advice along the lines of how to safely ship them in her suitcase.

Luggage cabins are almost always pressurized these days...

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

The way the airlines handles luggage, I wouldn't take the chance. The suitcase will get thrown around and half the time IME luggage gets lost and you won't get it the next day or maybe not at all.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #9 
doggyhog

I would never put my fish in a suitcase on a plane. Just way to risky. I mean, that's asking for dead fish.

Ship them to someone where your moving too, as stated above. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Shipping is much safer than putting them in luggage. But if your sure you want to risk it I would double bag them with LOTS of air in the bag, put them in a box in the center of the suitcase and pad heavily with clothes/towels on ALL sides. Even then the fish are at risk of being shaken to death and like DQ mentioned.. lost.

If you shipped the fish after your Mom arrived then she could have time to properly set up their tanks before they get to CA.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote