Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #11 
Lion Mom

OK - you are correct that the bowl is too small. If it were me, I would be doing 100% water changes every day/every other day and add aquarium salt (don't remember the proper dosage,but you should be able to find it on here somewhere). Use the salt treatment for 10 days ONLY (it can have a bad side affect if used constantly) and ditch the Melafix.

And, yes, it looks like tail biting to me also - BUT, the clean, warm salted water will help prevent infections.

If the plant in there is/was silk, it shouldn't have rough edges. What is that other thing in there? Is that rubber/plastic/other?

I know you mentioned getting a Biorb, but one of the members on here had one for her boy and HATED it!!!

This is an EXCELLENT tank for bettas (I own 3 of them and LOVE them):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

OR if you really, really like the looks of a "bowl", look for a 2 gal. glass drum bowl. Like this:

http://www.petazon.com/price/product...440000115.html

I suggest the drum bowl rather than the round because the flat sides make it SO much easier to work with in regards to a heater and filter (small internal).

Oh - something else you can do now to help your guy is some floating plants (ancharius, wisterea, etc.). They will help eat the ammonia and other nasties and help keep the water clean! :)

Hope that helps & keep up updated!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #12 
kfish

The dosage is 1 tsp/gallon. :) Pre-mix it in a 1 gallon water jug (or really clean milk jug - NO SOAP!). Make sure you acclimate your betta to the water temperature after water changes.

Also, I love my Hawkeye 5g tank! :) Best price!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #13 
Lion Mom

I usually go bigger for my boys, but I also love the look of a bowl so I do have one of my guys in one (and he seems VERY happy).

Just so you can see what I am talking about, I am adding a couple pics of my 2 gal. drum bowl. It has a 25 watt adjustable, submersible heater, a small internal filter, driftwood and live plants. Even though it is filtered, I still clean it 3 times a week (Mon., Wed. & Fri.) due to the small size.

The small light I have on the top is left over from a small acrylic tank I had years ago - the tank finally broke, but I kept the light fixture since there was nothing wrong with it & I am SO glad I did!!!! The bowls don't come with a light or top, but you can rig something up if you like.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #14 
Lion Mom

Here is where I purchased mine from since it was the best price I could find:

http://www.petmountain.com/show_prod...ign=performics

Be warned, though, shipping is a tad slow - I'm thinking in the 2 weeks range, but don't really remember.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #15 
Lion Mom

One more question - I know you said you went and purchased a heater (GOOD for you!), but did you also get a thermometer? What is the water temp? If you didn't get a thermometer, you really do need to get one and they are only a couple of bucks. :)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #16 
shayabetta

Wow!!! Thank you to everyone! this site is so awesome!
ok so with the silk plant i had, there was plastic towards the bottom and at the time i thought maybe that could be the cause of his fins (so i thought) being torn.
Will the salt hurt him? i know when humans have a wound and we put salt it stings, do you think stitch is in any pain?=/

yes, the other pink plant is rubber.. softest plant i found! and then he has the bamboo!

hmm, well maybe i should stay away from the biorb.. and just stay away rom the "bowl" look altogether... i really just want what is best for him..

would the 30 gal. biolife be to much for my boy? cuz that is more traditinal looking..

but for now, with the 5 gal hawkeye.. what else needs to be purchased?

Ad thank you! yes i got him a heater and a thermometer, and im constantly monitoring his temp.. and usually it is about 81 in there[=

thank you so much for all the feedback!

p.s i will start doing water changes everyday from here on out[=
shayabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #17 
kfish

Thank you for being so receptive! They don't show any evidence that salt is hurting them, and it's not a very high concentration when you think about it. I doubt it's enough to cause irritation. It just prevents bacteria growth and infection.

I don't think there's ever too much space! I've never heard of Biolife and my brief internet search didn't show much. As long as your fish can get air, I'm sure it's fine. And you'd probably need a bigger heater for 30g.

For a Hawkeye, you just need your heater, decorations, and thermometer. I'm not sure what heater you're using, so you may need a larger one (25W is ideal). The filter is a bit strong, so you'll probably want some filter sponge (like Fluval filter sponge, anything like that) so you can baffle it like this:

The sponge is tied in there by a rubber band around the filter. As you can see by the color of mine, it's a great place for beneficial bacteria to grow XD

You'd also probably want a siphon, so your water changes are easier (don't want to carry around 5g of water!). I use a bubbler tube (like 2 dollars for 10 feet).

Last edited by kfish; 01-20-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #18 
kfish

Just to check - what water are you putting in the tank? You're using water conditioner, right?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #19 
shayabetta

Oh my goodness! i made a mistake! the biolife i was interested in was 8 gallons but called "biolife 30"!
hmm well maybe if that is all he needs then i will just stick with the hawkeye, that would save alot of money and allow me to invest in other neat things for stitch decorating wise[=
shayabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #20 
kfish

The Hawkeye is great. :) You can cycle it (which means way less maintenance), and put in lots of live plants and decorations.

Tags
love fish, new owner, sick betta