Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #11 
bettaloverforever16

Even if this is kinda old, I'm still interestes in hearing your stories!
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

Venom...
My fiance picked him at the local pet store. I wanted a Betta and we were researching them but he couldn't leave Venom there. My fiance isn't a huge fish person either. When we got home, lo and behold, Venom became MY responsibility as my fiance didn't even feed him. One night I was frustrated and I was doing a million tank changes and I said to myself, in front of Venom "Ya know, you're not my fish. This isn't my job." and Venom flared at me... swam to the bottom of the tank and wiggled his way to the top. He kept doing it until I smiled and payed him attention. He was my favorite. I miss him so :(

Carnage...
I saw his photo on Aquabid and I KNEW I wanted him for breeding. It wasn't a connection but it was a want. I feel bad for poor Carnage, he didn't last a week here before getting ich. He died in my hand underwater though, I didn't let him pass alone.

Ben...
I picked Ben because he was healthy, new stock and different than the 40 blue/black Bettas that were there. Shortly after loosing Venom and Carnage, I didn't want a fish that looked like Venom. Anyways, I was hooked as soon as I got him home and his personality showed. I could never imagine not having my Ben here!!

Hughie...
What a pitiful excuse he was. I was looking through all the Bettas and seen him. Belly up and floating. I picked up the small tank to show the worker and he popped up and swam to the back side. I put him down and said "Why Hello Mr, didn't know you were still with us!" and he darted to the front to greet me. Then, he would float up and go belly up... and dart back to the front. He was so tired from trying to swim he couldn't stay in the front long :( But he tried, over and over. I decided he's mine and bought a little tank to take him home. I even got a huge discount on him (regular $7, got him for $2). Hughie's a HAM!

Jose...
All I can say about Jose was he was at the bottom of his tank, lifeless. I picked up his little tank to say hi (since he looked different) and he looked at me, his little face dropped and he went to the back of the tank. He put his little head in the corner, like he had given up. "Ok Lady, stop looking and put me back like everyone else did. You don't want me, I'm sick, no one wants me" :( I had to take him home, so I went out and bought a big tank and decorations and went back to get him.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #13 
bettaloverforever16

Awwww, that's so sweet!!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #14 
fleetfish

Tyson: His eyes are so black, like coal. I guess what drew me to him was that he needed some help getting back to health. He's a cute little guy though, I don't regret getting him. I love seeing him eat ... those little things that make him a step closer to optimum health. Yeah, it makes me happy that he's happy.

Inigo: There were about five different orange HMs at the store, but he drew me in because he GLARED at me. Like "TAKE ME OR I EAT YOU!" but I left him while I found Tyson ... then came back to get him. He was also in a tiny narrow cup that was kind of filthy. He's a beautiful fella ... I'm happy I got him. And he still glares at me, lol!

Heliotrope: Lavender bettas are one of my absolute favourite betta colours. Plus he's a lovely fish too. I was only going for him, but ended up getting the two above also :)

Peaseblossom: Saw him waaaaay in a back shelf, in the dark. He looked so sad. Peasey's a little sweetheart ... and I love orange dals.

Marilyn: What can I say? Except a tankful of tiny little female CTs. I wanted one. That one was Marilyn :D

Soleil: I'd been looking for another CT to fill in Vlad's empty tank ... and he was right there, under the light. A shiny yellow boy I knew I had to get.

Kasterborous: Love at first sight for this boy! He was in the darkness behind every other betta, no light. But he had a bubblenest as thick as my finger in his cup and that was that, plus he flared mightily at me. And I trembled beneath his imperious gaze. Kas is a total goofball ... he flares everytime he sees me. Or a pellet. Or my cat.

Adric: Well the day I got him I also couldn't find my glasses, so I was stumbling around the store until I found the bettas. And Adric was the only red boy there. His tail was chewed in half and for some reason he had only one ventral fin. I couldn't say no to him. He's such a character. Adric is slowly regaining his finnage. His ventral is still stubby but it's so flippin' adorable ^__^

Xochipilli: He was the "test guy" to see if I could get reactions from the other bettas. And I ended up bringing him home instead. Xochi is a gorgeous betta ... he knows it too!

Moon: Saving the best for last. Moon was part of a selection from Canadabettas. The store I got him from has a deal with the breeder, so every month or so they go to Montreal and pick out some bettas. I believe Moon was in the very first or second batch of Canadabetta's fish, because I recall seeing him waaaaay way back in April. He was being sold with his sister as a breeding pair, but she got sold leaving Moon alone. Weeks passed by, and I kept seeing Moon at the store. He battled velvet, finrot, tailbiting ... everything. And then weeks turned into two solid months. I happened to be at the store chatting about bettas with the manager. As I pointed out Moon and told her how long he'd been there, she started bagging him right there ... and handed him to me. She gave him to me. I walked out happy, and knowing that however long it took I would get Moon back to his old beautiful self. So, a month or so later since I've had him. His tail has grown back, he's healthy and incredibly feisty. I love my Mooney. :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 07-28-2011 at 10:09 PM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #15 
bettaloverforever16

That's so sweet!! There was a lot of Red bettas at my store that day, but my dad asked if I wanted him, holding him out so I could see him. He was flaring and swimming wildly around, I couldn't resist. That was 2 years ago on October, and I hope he lives till then. He's such a hearty boy, he's never gotten sick.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #16 
mookeeful

My Mojo was a Petsmart boy, but he wasn't necessarily a rescue. He was moved off to the B team shelf, where it seems they have most of the overstock bettas that don't necessarily catch an eye. He is a super small guy and he was moving back & forth in his cup. He would hit one side, turn, hit the other, turn.... you get the picture. I picked up his cup to make sure he was alright, and he just began swimming & fluttering like a puppy would!!!! He got even more excited when I started talking to him!!! I knew - just KNEW - he was mine! My hubby asked if I was sure, because I hadn't looked at any other cup, but he already had my heart!
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #17 
fleetfish

That's the thing about bettas ... they're too smart for our own good! They know how to tug at our heartstrings!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #18 
mookeeful

SOOOOO true!!!!
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #19 
bettaloverforever16

Lol you bet
Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #20 
vibs

The shop i walked into had bettas in small containers in the dark. I couldnt see their tails and colours, so i asked the shopkeeper to let the bettas in the big lighted tanks where other fishes were there.

I picked 4 bettas. One ata time he put them in the angel fish tank. The first 3 got extremely stressed and sunk to one corner of the tank. They lost their colour also.

But caramba the 4th when put in the tank jus flared at the angels !! then jus swam around normally, he dint get too stressed. Infact he was the youngest among the lot !!

Once i saw this boy i thought its him I want !!
vibs is offline   Reply With Quote