Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #21 
PewPewPew

^ LMAO XD It really does!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #22 
Elsch

the trouble is that most people don't understand what's truly right for the betta. the average person will go into a pet store, see the small betta boxes advertising how "happy and colorful" your new fish will be in here, along with poor advice from employees, and buy it. how are they to know any different? the box said they will be happy and healthy. the employee said they could survive fine in it. and the employee would probably lose their job if they told someone "don't buy this, it's actually not right."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the people we should be directing our angry letters and phone calls to, are the people who manufacture and design those tiny little bowls and boxes, promising a happy betta.
Elsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #23 
Goomba3

The two links are awesome! I want betta tanks like that.

@Elsch: I agree, and if I worked at one of those stores, I'd be fired because I would be giving people proper advise, haha.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #24 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsch View Post
the trouble is that most people don't understand what's truly right for the betta. the average person will go into a pet store, see the small betta boxes advertising how "happy and colorful" your new fish will be in here, along with poor advice from employees, and buy it. how are they to know any different? the box said they will be happy and healthy. the employee said they could survive fine in it. and the employee would probably lose their job if they told someone "don't buy this, it's actually not right."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the people we should be directing our angry letters and phone calls to, are the people who manufacture and design those tiny little bowls and boxes, promising a happy betta.
This is very true to most animal jobs.

I worked for a horse trainer who was really mean to the horses (henz why I quit). These horses feared this man so much that when he would walk through the bard they would run to their corners and tremble. The ones that forgot, got punched in the face till they went to their corners.

One of the stallions he was training was a 3 year old who had a nasty cut on the corners of his mouth from the twisted bike chain he was riding him in. I told him about the sores and that he should have some time off. He game him a day off. This sweet and gentle stud came to fear the bit and became very head shy. I miss him so much.

When the babies came in with their moms at weaning age, he would take them on this first day of show halter training for 10 min and beat them with a whip till they would stand pretty that way he wanted. He would hand them back to me with welts that were split open and bleeding. One time he lost a costumer cause their baby, right before a show, was whipped and then hit in the eye very badly witch then cause him to go blind in that one eye and end his show career before he could even start.

All this for the sake of training quickly to make shows, make a name for you self and win $.

I was treated like a slave worker, made to sleep in the barn at shows. I did not mind much cause the horses loved me. I was mommy to all of them.

This man has been reported many of time, but he has so much cash its hard to get anyone to care cause he will just pay them to shut up, as I was..paid to shut up. I did not shut up and I made friends with some of his clients who then took their horses and left when I quit. From what I know now he is going downhill and striving for money. His one breed barn has now turned into a bording barn and he is "training" more than just one breed.

I hope to see him locked up one day...
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #25 
Goomba3

That is horrible! I used to work at a horse barn, myself, and the owner sometimes got a little crazy (she would yell at horses for really no reason, which spooked them and made them act out even more) she never hit them or made them bleed. Poor horses! I really wish that man could feel every whip and every horrible bike-chain bit those horses had to endure. Awful.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #26 
Luimeril

that's why i adore the people at my lps. :/ they don't try to sell you the small containers. shoot, once, while i was in there, a lady was asking about the goldfish, and the employee who was there told her, they need big tanks, and are alot of work. i enjoyed talking with him and the lady, i'd chirp up with a tidbit, he'd agree and throw in his own tidbit. they know alot there, and i love that place. <3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:45 AM   #27 
ilovebunnies

@ lilchiwolf

That is so sad :(

I just don't understand how anyone can just buy a pet and be cruel. Poor bunnies at Easter time are so exploited by pet stores. People don't realize they live for 10+ years and are expensive to properly care for. People just care that something cute and fuzzy in their kids Easter basket. They buy horrible hutches where they suffer. Often they don't get the proper nutrition and attention they need. Part of that blame falls on the companies that sell small wire bottom cages that go outside and improper foods. Bunnies are social animals that should live inside the house with the family. They can be litter trained and are very clean animals.

Sorry about the rant. It just really makes my blood boil. I've rescued bunnies that have been released into the wild cause their owners didn't want to take responsibility of them. They just dumped them into the wilderness for them to suffer. And on top of Easter, this year is the year of the rabbit. So more bunnies suffering cause people make stupid purchases and not think pet ownership through. :( :( :( X(
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #28 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
@ lilchiwolf

That is so sad :(

I just don't understand how anyone can just buy a pet and be cruel. Poor bunnies at Easter time are so exploited by pet stores. People don't realize they live for 10+ years and are expensive to properly care for. People just care that something cute and fuzzy in their kids Easter basket. They buy horrible hutches where they suffer. Often they don't get the proper nutrition and attention they need. Part of that blame falls on the companies that sell small wire bottom cages that go outside and improper foods. Bunnies are social animals that should live inside the house with the family. They can be litter trained and are very clean animals.

Sorry about the rant. It just really makes my blood boil. I've rescued bunnies that have been released into the wild cause their owners didn't want to take responsibility of them. They just dumped them into the wilderness for them to suffer. And on top of Easter, this year is the year of the rabbit. So more bunnies suffering cause people make stupid purchases and not think pet ownership through. :( :( :( X(
my bunny, Mocha, was an easter gift for mom, from mom. >.>; we did lots of research, though, and she gets fresh veggies every single day, along with bunny kibble and Timothy Hay. she's spoiled rotten, and is now my bunny, so i spoil her more!

i often tell people, that for the price of their tiny little "betta" tank, i can buy my bettas a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper, lots of plants, and hidey holes. o3o that gets them thinking.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #29 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
my bunny, Mocha, was an easter gift for mom, from mom. >.>; we did lots of research, though, and she gets fresh veggies every single day, along with bunny kibble and Timothy Hay. she's spoiled rotten, and is now my bunny, so i spoil her more!
Hehe! She sounds adorable! I have a bonded pair, Alphonse (white bunny) and Piggy (brown bunny). They are so spoiled! Al loves banana and Piggy loves blueberries (only as a little treat though,lol)!
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote