Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #1 
Ayaka

Exclamation Is he ok?

My betta is laying on the bottom of the tank :( I hope he's just sleeping but he won't move even when I tap the tank. He looks like he's breathing hard too.
I just put him in his tank today. He's been in it a little less than 10 hours. I didn't really trust my tap water so I used some bottled water from the store. I have a heater in there but it the temp went above 80 so I unplugged it about an hour ago, but the temp still hasn't gone down. There are little bubbles all over the sides of the tank and plants, not a bubble nest though.
He was swimming around fine until a little over an hour ago. Its 3 am here so I'm praying he's just sleeping, but after a bad experience with my goldfish I can't help but get worried about him.
Thank you.
Ayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #2 
c4talys7

Are you using any water treatment? Like AquaSafe, Stress Coat, or something of the like? That could be why. Even bottled water can have heavy metals and stuff that can harm fish. Unless the water says it is specifically for Betta or freshwater fish you should always treat it. If you get water treatment you can use your tap water and not have to spend more money on bottled :)

How big is your tank?

Also, if you just cleaned the tank today the bubbles could be from that. I know when I changed my water I had air bubbles everywhere.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #3 
Ayaka

He was up and about when I woke up, so I guess he was just sleeping. Though now he's just been floating in the same spot at the top for quite a while now...I can't believe I forgot to put the conditioner in! I did buy some, should I take him out and put it in now? Or wait until I change the water? It's a 2.5 gallon tank, so how often should that get done? Should I keep using the purified bottled water w/ the conditioner, or just use my tap water w/ the conditioner.
This is the tank I got
http://www.petco.com/product/10313/A...-in-Black.aspx
It came with a filter, it's not too strong but if he swims infront of the stream he gets blown around a bit. But he can still get to the surface. Is it Ok to use?

One more question. I have Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets for him, how often and how many should I feed him? The package says 2-4 pellets 2-3 times a day. He comes up to eat them but spits them out a few times before he can get them down.

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just a nervous new mommy and I want to take good care of him. Any advice is appreciated, including name suggestions, so far I like Oscar. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #4 
c4talys7

I love his color! And don't worry about the questions, I'm the same way. I'm still a bit new to the whole thing.

First off, yes you should put the conditioner right away. You don't have to keep buying bottled water if you don't want to spend the money. The conditioner makes tap water safe for fish.

As for the filter, there is a sticky on the habitats thread about a baffle for it if it's too strong, but it doesn't sound like it is to me. Do you plan on cycling your tank? It's something that can happen with your tank if you have a filter. I'm a little iffy on cycling with a fish so you might want to ask a more experienced person about it. But if you decide to cycle you wouldn't have to do as many water changes. I would do research into it first if you decide to do that.

As for water changes I changed my 2.5gal every day when one of my fish was sick. I'm sure you could get away by doing it every other or every few. I think the main issue with your Betta is not having any conditioner in the water.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #5 
Ayaka

The conditioner definately helped. :) He was a lot more active the minute I put him back in the water.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #6 
c4talys7

That's good to hear :) I think he will be as good as new in a couple days with the conditioner.