Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #1 
ohstephyy

New fishy... Acting fishy?

So, it's been a couple months since Fredward passed away.... Since then I've been feeling a little empty and decided it was time to move on.

I was skeptical buying a fish from the same store that I bought Fredward at, but when I saw this little guy I knew I just had to have him. I spotted him, a creamy deep blue color, and even though he was twice as small as the fish in the jar next to him, he was flaring at him and puffing out his fins like he was a tough guy. That's what made me bring him home and name him Pixel (because of his tiny size)

I set up the tank (2.5 gal) and turned on the heater before putting him in his new home. He seemed okay, kinda pissed off that I was moving him and put him into his new area. He went around, looking at his new crib. I re furnished the tank after Fredward passed (replacing the rocks into black sand and replacing 90% of the fake plants to real ones -four of them still bulbs-) Anyways, he was veery shy, not eating ANYTHING I gave him (which scared me so much, he didn't eat the pellets I had left over from fred) but after picking up some dried bloodworms, he literally attacks them before he eats them. He even grew in size a tiny bit!

(here's a few pics of him :3 he is super pretty: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../LushPixie.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...iizzzxells.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...CrazyPixel.jpg)

Anyways, on to the weird part. He makes normal bubble nests, after not making any for weeks (he was sooo small when I bought him that I thought maybe it was possible that he was still a baby, or he was just stressed about the move) so I think he's enjoying himself, but what worried me is ever since I bought him he NEVER has flared. Not once. Not at his reflexion, not at me. I know his gills work because I see him like 'burp' and both gills flexed out, but he hasn't flared at me once. It's freaking me out, could he be depressed? I've had him for a month and a week or so.... And i've never seen him flare other than when he was at the pet shop. Now, weirder things are happening (or am I just paranoid?) when he used to swim, he did it fluidly.... Now, he swims and then when he stops, his fins quiver eerily fast and if he rests on something he does so on a slant? His fins move so quick it seems like he's waving at me frantically, not like before his fins would move in a fluid calm motion, now he just seems frantic. Could he have swim bladder disease? Sometimes when he 'rests' his whole body goes almost vertically. This is scaring me, the whole not flaring and swimming awkward is freaking me out, I don't want to lose another fishy pass so close to losing my first one. Can someone help me out please?

Tank specs:
size: 2.5 gal
heated: at 78 degrees
Filter: Not at the moment (need to get new filters)
Meds: Just the basic dechlorinator
Food: TopFin freeze dried bloodworms (also, is feeding him this stuff every day bad for him?)
Tank change: First week: 100% on Saturdays
Second week: 50% on wednesdays
Third week: 100% on saturday
Forth week: 50% wednesday
ohstephyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #2 
ohstephyy

*update* His swimming is fine now, I guess I was just being super paranoid!

But i'm still very worried about his 'never flaring' issue....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #3 
small fry

(sorry, I only read the 2nd post)

My male, Tony, I had for over 6 months before I saw him flare. Only reason he flaired was because I put a mirror in front of him.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 
chargers505

Freeze dried bloodworms should not be a staple diet for bettas. It should be fed as a treat once a week. Feeding your betta freeze dried bloodworms on a regular basis may increase the risk of constipation. You need to get him a good pellet form food. And you shouldn't be freaking out if he ignores the pellet. Healthy bettas can go days without and still be fine. He will have to eat the pellet eventually when he's hungry enough. Most bettas find Bio Gold pellets to be irresistible. If you do decide to keep feeding him freeze dried bloodworms, I recommend you soak the worms for a couple of minutes prior to feeding to fully rehydrate which will avoid bloating.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #5 
ohstephyy

(it's okay that you never read the first)
@ small fry: Hmmm... Yeah maybe it's just his personality.... He seems kinda shy around me and just recently he started following me around his tank. I put up a phone charm that had a mirror on it, and he swam away in fear.

*update*
After close inspection I do notice that he is swimming weird again. It seems he has to ALWAYS be moving his fins in order to stop himself from floating up to the top. I'm wondering if it's a bladder disease. I'm fasting him for a couple of days to see if it is... His swimming is very awkward and his fins are moving in a frantic fast motion. It is probably because of the blood worms, he doesn't look very bloated but I'm going to try everything.

I did read most of the threads on here, and did read that blood worms aren't good for him to feed every day, but he just won't eat the pellets I give him. I tried soaking them in water and everything, he just wont eat them. He looks at them, spits them out and continues that habit until he gets bored and swims away from the pellet. But I guess I'll try "bio gold" which I'm a bit skeptical about, since I do have an array of many different pellet betta fish foods, and he won't touch any of them. He will eat the freeze dried blood worms, and the dehydrated ones, but never pellets. Ugh, silly Pixel.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #6 
chargers505

When's he's hungry enough... he WILL eat them. You're just spoiling him is all :) Fast him for a day or two.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #7 
BettaGirl290

necessarily, bettas dont HAVE to flare at you, or anything else. (unless you were breeding, and he didnt flare at the female(s) - BG
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 
BettaGirl290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohstephyy View Post
(it's okay that you never read the first)
@ small fry: Hmmm... Yeah maybe it's just his personality.... He seems kinda shy around me and just recently he started following me around his tank. I put up a phone charm that had a mirror on it, and he swam away in fear.

*update*
After close inspection I do notice that he is swimming weird again. It seems he has to ALWAYS be moving his fins in order to stop himself from floating up to the top. I'm wondering if it's a bladder disease. I'm fasting him for a couple of days to see if it is... His swimming is very awkward and his fins are moving in a frantic fast motion. It is probably because of the blood worms, he doesn't look very bloated but I'm going to try everything.

I did read most of the threads on here, and did read that blood worms aren't good for him to feed every day, but he just won't eat the pellets I give him. I tried soaking them in water and everything, he just wont eat them. He looks at them, spits them out and continues that habit until he gets bored and swims away from the pellet. But I guess I'll try "bio gold" which I'm a bit skeptical about, since I do have an array of many different pellet betta fish foods, and he won't touch any of them. He will eat the freeze dried blood worms, and the dehydrated ones, but never pellets. Ugh, silly Pixel.
same with my betta, i didnt know they would cause constipation..... they did. and well try diffrent types of betta food food.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #9 
ohstephyy

Bah, yeah, I'll fast him for a two-three days. I am spoiling him, he just expects blood worms all the time now then.

I'm still very verrryyy worried about his awkward swimming. I came back from work today and gave him a good inspection, it seems he's changing color (not loosing color, but changing from ALL blue, with a dark head, to some of his base turning purple.... Which i guess is normal because that's what happened to fredward when he matured) But he when he stops in place, he jerks around to start swimming again, and he has to be moving his fins frantically to keep himself from floating up. Uuuuuhhh~ hopefully the fasting will fix this... If it is swim bladder disease.

I write loooong ranting posts .______. Sorry guys, I just don't want to lose this little guy.

I might post a video soon of his awkward swimming so I can get more answers quicker.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #10 
ohstephyy

Also, I have a calcium thingy that I have in his tank (the guys at the pet store said it would 'help prolong his life' but they're sometimes wrong) , could that be harming him?