Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Question Preparing my 9 Bettas for a 3 hour move!

I will be moving at the end of April to the west side of Michigan to live in my new home with my boyfriend. Now I have moved goldfish before, just put them in a bucket, and I have moved bettas before, but it was only a 30 min trip. I have all their cut that a cleaned out and kept so they can travel in those. I know I will need to pick up some heat packs. Do they last 3 hours? Also, would it be a good idea to take some of their water with me in jugs so I can mix it with the new water at the old house? Will I have to cycle again? I know I would like to wait at least 24hrs till I put them all back in.

Some tips would be nice! I want them all to be healthy and safe when they get to their new home.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #2 
fishman12

You will have to cycle aqain probably
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #3 
kfish

If you keep your filter media and substrate wet in tank water, you probably will not have to cycle again or it will only take a few days for the cycle to continue. The water is the least important part. The part that would be most likely to mess up the cycle would be waiting 24 hours before adding the fish back. The bacteria needs to eat!

I have moved my betta twice and taken out 90% of the water, and the cycle continued just fine. Each was a two hour trip.

I think most heat packs last at least 10 hours. You'd have to check the specific one you intend to buy. There are definitely types that will last over 3 hours, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #4 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
If you keep your filter media and substrate wet in tank water, you probably will not have to cycle again or it will only take a few days for the cycle to continue. The water is the least important part. The part that would be most likely to mess up the cycle would be waiting 24 hours before adding the fish back. The bacteria needs to eat!

I have moved my betta twice and taken out 90% of the water, and the cycle continued just fine. Each was a two hour trip.

I think most heat packs last at least 10 hours. You'd have to check the specific one you intend to buy. There are definitely types that will last over 3 hours, though.
Thank you so much!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #5 
kfish

Here's the system I used. XD I put my filter media and filter baffle sponges in Ziploc bags filled 1/3 with tank water, then stored them in the tank for the trip. I took out all of the decorations (my tank is plastic, so I didn't want them jiggling around and scratching the surface) and put them in plastic bags as well (no extra water in those, but they stayed wet), which I then put in a box.

I left enough water in the tank to just cover the substrate. Not sure how large your tanks are, so that may not be feasible for you to carry.

Last edited by kfish; 01-22-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #6 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Here's the system I used. XD I put my filter media and filter baffle sponges in Ziploc bags filled 1/3 with tank water, then stored them in the tank for the trip. I took out all of the decorations (my tank is plastic, so I didn't want them jiggling around and scratching the surface) and put them in plastic bags as well (no extra water in those, but they stayed wet), which I then put in a box.

I left enough water in the tank to just cover the substrate. Not sure how large your tanks are, so that may not be feasible for you to carry.
But how did you store yours bettas?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #7 
kfish

I put him in a .5 gallon tank with a lid ($5 at Wal-Mart) half-filled with tank water. I put that in a hard case cooler, padded heavily with hand towels. Then I strapped it into the passenger seat! I added his java fern to the little tank as a security blanket. :)

This is the type of cooler I mean: http://www.rei.com/zoom/k/1116818.jpg/330
Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
I put him in a .5 gallon tank with a lid ($5 at Wal-Mart) half-filled with tank water. I put that in a hard case cooler, padded heavily with hand towels. Then I strapped it into the passenger seat! I added his java fern to the little tank as a security blanket. :)

This is the type of cooler I mean: http://www.rei.com/zoom/k/1116818.jpg/330
well that will work for one, but I think I am going to have to put them all in cups and pack them in the tanks with towels and stuff. :P
Old 01-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #9 
kfish

Unless you have a big box! I'm sure it'd be fine if you just emptied all the water and packed them in the tanks, though. You can always bring a few jugs of water just to be safe!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #10 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Unless you have a big box! I'm sure it'd be fine if you just emptied all the water and packed them in the tanks, though. You can always bring a few jugs of water just to be safe!
I will for sure ^_^