Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #1 
IdahoBetta

Tank and fin rot advice needed

So today I was cleaning out Sinatra's tank and transfered him to his temporary bowl when I noticed that his fin rot had come back. This is very frustrating as I thought we had gotten this problem fixed.

Right now he is in his 1 gal. bowl with his heater set at 80*F with daily water changes and maracyn two. The bowl is only temporary until we get some advice and fin rot figured out.

His tank is 3 gal. filtered, and heated to 80*F. It has been cycled, the parameters for nitrate and everything are good for a fish and I do 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change a week. I feed him pellets and freezedried blood worms as a treat, and fast one day a week.

What can I do to cure his fin rot completely so it will stop coming back? How long until his tail grows back? Should I change how many water changes I do? Any advice would be appreciated.
IdahoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Why are you doing a 100% water change on his 3 gal. tank if it is filtered and cycled? You should NEVER do a 100% on a cycled tank - it will destroy the cycle and have to start over.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #3 
IdahoBetta

I thought I was supposed to do at least 1 of those. I will stop doing them on the tank then. I have only done 1 100% change on the tank and that was last week. I did a 50% change about two days ago.
IdahoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote