BigRed2

Help - New Betta Owner

We tried to set up the perfect aquarium for our new friend:
a 2.5 gallon aquarium
heater
filter
plants
cave

he was very active ... but when we installed heater ... he started laying on floor and becoming very inactive. Previously, the thermostat was 75 before heater and now the thermonstat reads 80.

Did we do something wrong? Do you all have any suggestions?

Many Thanks
BigRed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....

How long has the tank been set up?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
BigRed2

The tank has been set up for about 6 days ... but we only put the heater in about 4 days ago, when I read that they were tropical fish and it was best to have a heater.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Good that you added the heater...in the 6 days how much and how many water changes have you done, what type of additives used and what kind of plants live or fake...if live what kind and how many....
Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 
BigRed2

We have no water changes ... we used stresszyme for new tanks and added "betta water conditioner" ... we added 1 fake plant and we added 1 "cave" with no sharp edges ... is it better to use live plants? would that help with water quality? finally, could the fish still be in shock from the transition ... the water in the pet store was not heated. Thank you again for all of your help!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #6 
Scrambles

From what it sounds like, he may just be stressing out, that or he wasn't acclimated long enough, or the tank wasn't properly cycled, or the water chemistry is all wrong. Live plants are best in my opinion, also they are great for quickly cycling a new tank.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #7 
fishman12

Did you rinse everything before you put it in the tank? And yes, live plants do improve the water quality, Tropica fern is a good, low matinence plant.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #8 
Wildcat

Is your Betta any better? If so what have you done? My betta has gone through the same thing. I went from a small 1.5 gallon to a 3.5 gallon with heater and my Betta is laying on the bottom a lot and not moving around very much. Any suggestions? Should I add Aquarium salt? And live plants? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Wildcat
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I would start making some 50% daily water changes for a few days and then get on a regular schedule of twice weekly 50% thereafter....clean the substrate with one of the twice weekly water changes with a vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality.....give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month and when the water flow slow to maintain good water flow

It sounds like a water quality issue and some adjustment issue as well....get your water clean up and he should perk up for you....

Make sure and use like temp water with the water changes so not to cause temp related problems and use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish...

Live plants are always good for both the tank and the Betta...but fake plants are fine too....
Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #10 
BigRed2

thanks so much for your help!