Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #1 
eclover09

petco cups are SMALLER?!

Is anybody else seeing this in there petco's? >< I went in today to get some root tabs and I went over to see the bettas, they have three different shelves for them. Well the first shelf, I oogled at a white betta for like...ever lol, and they were all in the normal sized little cups. Then I went to the side shelf and saw four were in these TINY cups, half the size of the already tiny standard cups. Since there were only four, I assumed that maybe they ran out of the normal sized cups and used these. Then I look at the third shelf...all 15 or so Bettas were in these cups! I mean, these things are smaller then any even petsmart or walmart cups I have seen, I really like...stared quite appalled to see these bettas in these cups that they were obviously WAY to large for, it was even worse then seeing them in the usual petco cups. I have another petco near me, but I have no idea if they have switched to these as well...

Is anyone else seeing this or is the state of Arizona just enjoying torturing betta's further? -.- I mean seriously, shrink the cups more? It's insane!
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #2 
Crazykat

I just checked out the lps near my college and I was absolutely stunned. The bettas (and these bettas were BIG) were in cups the size of small yogurt cups. They could barely straighten their bodies. They had filmy stuff hanging off of them and one was so bloated he looked like he was going to pop. I asked and the head fish person said, "They like being in small cups. They're scared otherwise. And we don't need to change the water because of the blue stuff in it." Absolutely disgusting conditions. SO, no, I'm seeing it in Massachusetts too.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 
eclover09

Yeah they ones at petco were like the size of yogurt cups >< It was awful, I mean the past few months I have really liked the way the petco's around me have been caring for there bettas, but now this? It just doesn't seem necessary at all to make the cups smaller.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i've never been to a petco. o.o i know the cups at Petsmart are huge, though. the pet store i go to has, apparently, the small cups. larger than a small yogurt cup, but smaller than Petsmart's. shoot, i wish i'd kept and sterilized that Petsmart cup. x-X i'll have to find the pics of Zidane in his cup for ya'll....

ta-dah. also, this is how he was when i first got him. >.>;

just big enough for him.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #5 
eclover09

See that's the size petco's cups used to be though they were wider then taller...apparently now there choosing these tiny little things half the size. I mean I was watching the betta's, and they were literally wiggling with obvious difficulty to turn around in these new cups...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #6 
Luimeril

poor things. :< why not make a complaint? :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 
Aluyasha

I live in Washington and my petstores (including Petco and Walmart's Bettas) are doing the same thing. Smaller and smaller cups. About shot glass size.
Poor Bettas. :(

Last edited by Aluyasha; 01-20-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #8 
Barrix

The cups in our Petco haven't changed size at all. It's a shame that the fish in other places have to suffer. Who gave the Petco in Arizona and Washington the grand idea that the bettas would enjoy a smaller cup when they didn't even enjoy the normal sized ones? Seriously? I just want to slap that person in the face. >.<

Last edited by Barrix; 01-20-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Barrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #9 
Goomba3

I was in Petsmart yesterday and the cup sizes are all normal. Not large by any means, but the normal size they've always had. I don't have any Petcos around me, so I can't say about them. And I don't even go near the fish section in WalMart.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #10 
Scrambles

Can't you call the ASPCA or Social Services or someone to report places like that?
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote