Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #1 
Lordsameth

Emergency! He isn't moving!!!

Biscotti has been getting weaker all day. Yesterday he tore his right fin.

Yesterday before the tear, I put in a new heater, which brought the temperature up 10 degrees over the course of 5 hours. The ammonia is still 0. Currently he is perched on the floor of the tank, directly under the heater, completely unresponsive and unmoving. He IS alive, but he isn't even trying to swim.

I did a 50% water change yesterday, and I was planning on doing them daily until his fin healed, but I now I am extremely concerned because the only movement from him is when he turned his head a little.

what needs to be done to get him all better?
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

I am very sorry to hear that! I would continue to do water changes, but only 10-20%. A few drops of Bettafix never hurt anyone, and my bettas become very spunky after a water change. I have to say that the heater raised the temperature a little fast. Did you float him in the water so he acclimated to the temperature before you put him in? And what medicine do you have on hand?
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
Lordsameth

He was already in the tank, and then I put the heater in. I unplugged it a little ways in because the temperature was rising too fast, but with the snowstorm outside, and my lack of real heating, it only caused his temperature to plummet again.

He was doing great this morning, he had a wimpy little bubble nest going, and was very active in grabbing his morning meal.

I moved a plant near him to see if he would react, and he swam forward a few inches.

I don't have any medicine for Betta... aquarium salt and epsom salt right now.

Could this just be because of his torn fin? He doesn't seem sick, just tired.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

A pinch of aquarium salt can do wonderful things, and building a bubble nest, however pathetic it may look, is a good sign. And sometimes, bettas can just be tired. My bettas like to nap for hours and then swim a little, then nap again. Continue to keep a close eye on him, and don't worry about his little fin. It will grow back again. My veiltail betta Dumbo once tore his fin all of the way down, and it healed perfectly in a few weeks.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #5 
Lordsameth

Okay... He moved for my boyfriend just now anyway...I think the little guy likes him *Flares* And I feed him too!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

He sounds like a real sweetheart. I don't know much, but I love bettas, and I really hope he pulls through. I'm giving ya my bestest wishes. Praying never did hurt my bettas, maybe it will make ya feel better about yours? I love the pictures of him, and your tank setup is excellent. I wish my bettas had tanks like that! But they are just happy to be outta their cups. Petco, shiver. If he is eating, it sounds like improvement to me.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Good luck! He'll be alright.
We all have our days, and so do bettas. Sometimes I see my normally fine and mellow (healthy) boy Alle at the bottom for a long time, like all day, and freak, but...eh. Hes just a lazy boy sometimes.
Im sure your little guy's just healing and resting, nooo worriiess! (Especially with the advice from Bettaluver4ever!)
Nunnn worry!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

Haha, thanks. It just kills me when I can't help a betta in a store, so I try to help them here. I honestly don't know much, but I know something, so I give it freely.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Hey! Is he doing any better today? :)
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #10 
Lordsameth

Much better today, he swam up, ate his fill, and darted around a bit. Still stopping for rests every now and then. The tear in his fin is healing, and he seems to be doing better.

I was scared to bits, last night he didn't swim up for food and stayed on his side on the bottom.