Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #1 
boro

New here, but 2nd time Betta owner

Hello everyone...

I guess I should go into a bit of a background on myself first. Let me begin by saying that a lot has changed since the last time I had Bettas. I've had three Bettas before...well one was mine and the other two were my mom's. But anyway, at the time that huge fad of putting them in a vase with a peace lily on top was still the thing to do, and everyone told us that you never had to do anything for these fish at all.

Don't worry though, we did...we'd feed them every other day and clean out their vases every week, and at the time we thought we were pretty decent Betta owners for doing so. I have to claim ignorance on that one, I was only 13 at the time lol...

Anyway fastforward 10 years to today, and after having my fill of noisy, messy pets of the smaller kind (I have a dog that I love to death though, and probably always will have one) I decided to get a Betta again.

Well as I said, a lot has changed. I did some research beforehand and found out pretty quick that vase thing wasn't going to work. So off I went to Petco to get a tank, a fish and all the stuff I'd need. I was pretty set on getting a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank.

I lucked out though, cause they were having a sale on the 10 gallon Aqueon kits...they were cheaper than both the 2.5 and 5 gallon kits by 5 and 10 dollars respectively...so yeah I was definitely gonna jump on that. It's a nice glass aquarium with a filter pump and all. After that I picked up some water conditioner, a heater (100 watt for 10-30 gallon tanks, I wanted a little overkill) some food, gravel for the bottom, three small to medium artificial plants (since this is in my mancave and I don't really wanna fool with plants), and this ancient ruins looking thing for my fish to play around in.

Poured in the water and treated it, and I was spot on with my estimates on temp cause the heater clicked on for a second or two and then back off again...now it's going back and forth and according to my phone it's hovering at about 77 degrees.

Right now he's sitting in that tiny little bowl/cup thing they store them in. I felt sorry for them, there were a few dead ones...but anyway he's floating around at the top of the tank about 20 minutes into his 30 minute adjustment period. He's a really pretty red/white delta tail with spots. He was the prettiest of them there, and also healthy looking and active. There were so many of them, I hope they all find homes too...I can't really see them living for long in there. At least the water in those things seemed to be fairly warm, but I still turned on the seat heater on the way home for him. He seemed to like that.

But anyway, he's sitting right here beside me in my mancave. I put him in here since I'm in here so much, this way I can see him all the time and he can see me all the time. No sense in having a fish if you aren't going to 'socialize' with it, lol. I do remember them being very active, sociable, and friendly fish. I loved my last little Betta.

I was told at Petco to do 50% water changes every week and not to mess with the filter since the gunk in it will actually help the water quality. Unless it clogs in which case to just gently rinse it out.

So that's where I'm at now, I'll post pics of the setup once he's out of that cup and swimming freely.

I guess where I'm aiming at with this is...how am I doing as a relearned Betta owner so far?
boro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #2 
boro

It's picture time!

Here's his setup.

And here is the new resident.

He doesn't have a name yet. The only name I have for him is the name my last Betta had, Buddy. Not very imaginative I know but I was only 13 at the time. Any suggestions (for a name or otherwise) are welcome.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #3 
kfish

I'm no good with names, but I'm so happy to hear that you did your research and everything. Also, it seems like you talked to the one person at a pet store who knew what they were talking about, haha.

I think you're doing a pretty good job!

I'd say that 50% changes once a week are fine for a 10 gallon tank. Your tank will cycle itself if you follow that schedule. You might want to invest in a test kit (liquid testing) just to make sure ammonia doesn't get too high during the process. You may have to throw in a 70-80% change every two or three weeks before you're cycled, depending what a test kit says the ammonia and nitrite levels are.

Live plants are really easy to take care of (i.e. you don't have to do anything!), if you get the low-light, low-maintenance ones. And they'll help you cycle faster and maintain better water quality before cycling is done. It's up to you, of course, but your fish might want some more places to hide soon. :)

It's really cute how tiny he looks in that huge tank. :)

I love his stripes. He looks like a little betta candy cane.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #4 
boro

Thanks! I will look into a test kit soon, maybe even pick up a live plant when I'm there. I didn't know they had low light versions, but it would definitely have to be able to survive in pretty low light levels.

In the future once the tank is cycled I may look into getting him a few friends too, but for now I'm gonna just keep him in there.

He's pretty happy in there, wandering around all over the tank although he's too nervous/excited to eat, at least right now. And of all the random stuff I put in there, his favorite thing in the tank so hide behind, sleep on, and generally be lazy with is the heater. Go figure, lol. He hasn't really paid much attention to anything else in the tank other than that and his own reflection, which he gets mad at every now and then.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 
kfish

Aww! Mr. Fish likes to swim between the suction cups that stick his heater to the wall of the tank. He just likes to swim in any tight spaces.

Java fern would survive well in there (you may find it labeled as tropica fern). Amazon swords would also be okay, as well as any crypt plant or anubias. Be careful with pet store plants - a lot of them aren't actually aquatic and will die when submerged for extended periods.

My room doesn't get any sun, so my plants grow off of aquarium light 8-10 hours a day and are flourishing. I have anubias, java fern, hornwort, Christmas moss, and cryptocoryne wendtii (a red crypt).

I bought from http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....-Plants_c6.htm. When I purchased, the code BETTAFISH (all caps) at check out got you a 10% discount. Probably still does!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #6 
Goomba3

That tank is awesome! What a fantastic set up! He will definitely love his new tank once he gets used to it, since it's a billion times larger than the cup he was in.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #7 
boro

Thanks! And thanks for the promo code kfish, I'll have to check on that and see what they have sometime in the near future.

I caught the little guy sleeping upside down in the middle fake plant in the tank. I think he wore himself out swimming around for the past 8 hours. He didn't even wake up when I turned the light off, lol.

I guess it's probably time for me to call it a night too...
Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #8 
Goomba3

Aww, so cute! I like when they hide in their plants or rest on them. He did eventually wake up, though, right?
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #9 
boro

Oh yeah, I just stepped out of the shower and he's playing around in the columns now. He was just having a power nap.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #10 
kfish

Awww!! I love the funny sleeping positions. That's so cute.