Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Live plant help, considering..

Wow I post a lot. Sorry, guys :c Getting into the cycling/dividing thing is confusing @_@
But! Ive been mulling over the prospect of getting one or maybe two live plants for my divided 5 gallon hex. Its currently drying because I just sealed the divider in, but in a few days it will be host to a double fish-in cycle.
Ive heard that live plants can help slightly offset the harmful levels during a new cycle and can speed it up(?) Regardless of if it does, I'd like to try my hand at it.

However, a few things.
-Im a n00b to live plants.
-Im on a budget. Like. BUDGET.
-I cant get a c02 thing, fertilizer, etc.
-I have marbles as substrate.
-I cannot put my tank near a window. It'd be like 4+ feet from one.

I'd need something sort of cheap if getting it online ($10 for a plant or even $10 including shipping is too much x.x), so Im hoping Petsmart might have a few fully aquatic plants I can use.

I really like Java fern, but dont know if they sell it or if I can use it in my tank. I know it roots onto things, which is fine, I'd put a rock or two in there for it.

What are some (cheaper, low low maintanance kinds) I can get?
Also, will a plant survive cycling? D:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
Malvolti

The big questions will be:
1) How much natural light will it get? Is the room bright during the day without room lights on?
2)What kind of aquarium lights do you have? Incandescent, Flourescent, LED?

Java fern is probably the easiest plant ever. I doesn't need CO2, Fert or light and really doesn't need much in the way of a substrate. Glass marbles are probably fine. It will grow with low amounts of natural light.

Anubias is also good. Basically needs the same things as Java Fern, just a little more. Any form of natural light should be enough for this guy with some CFL bulbs instead of incandescent. Other plants that are about the same as this guy in the way of needs are Anacharis, Marimo, Java Moss and Water Wisteria.

From what I understand Amazon Swords and Crypts need slightly more care. They need slightly better lighting that just filtered sunlight and a basic bulb, the occasional fert. I don't think they NEED CO2. I'm not really sure though, I haven't looked into these species much.

Most of these plants are pretty common in your Local Pet Store depending on your region and don't usually cost much more than $6, with the exception of Marimo which I've seen as high as $9.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

It's a flourescant bulb and it could get quite a bit to very little (8hrs to..not much), depending on how cold it is outside, the weather is awful there and if the draft is really bad, I close the blinds to keep the heat in (Works sorta well..)
I think Ill go for it and try either anubias or java fern :D I like that theyre low maintenance, lol.
Thanks for the help :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, java fern, plants