Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Red face Divider after cycling?

Hello, I started my tank cycle already but failed to put a divider in yet. I read the tutorial that was posted on here that you have to use aquarium sealant and all that.

Since I already started my tank would I be able to just take more water out when I do my water change before the fish go in and do the divider tutorial like that? I would take out most of the water and keep about 3 inches in so the rocks don't dry out (that's where the benefical bacteria is right?) and I would let the filter sit in water so that doesn't dry out too.

The divider would still go down all the way it just wouldn't have the seal on the bottom 4 inches.

Would this work? Then I would just fill it back with pre-treated water, test the water again and then pry let it sit overnight so the water could heat back up.

Please let me know if you need anymore details. I have a 14gal tank.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

You can also buy them for your tank, they come in a veriety of sizes and could very well fit :D
Sealant usually will require your tank to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and dried for 2+ days. (bleehh) before even thinking of sealing. This allows it to bond best. If that isnt an issue, that wooo!
But.. You need to clean the tank once the sealant is in. (need to. Neeed tooo. Its smelly and just...needs to XD) I think that'd mess with your cycle a bit D:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

I found a couple that could be cut down to fit, theyre actually cheap in comparison to Top Fin's $10+ ones x.x (Some Ive never seen in person)
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...x~5LRVpDOkdw__

http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom...ductId=3742975
^ These Ive seen and bought, they attach bu hooks to the top of the tank and arent half bad!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 
c4talys7

I'll do that then and just permanetly seal my tank when I get back to Oregon and then recycle it (its gunna take forever!)

Thanks for the links btw! I was originally looking for a way to divide the tank before having to get all the water out.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

No problem. If/when, just keep the substrate and filter and whatnot all nasty and dont clean it to boost your next cycle, if you have to redo it. :B
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #6 
coolcucumber

I spent 16$ on a divider for my 5gal haha. it was one that you slide in, it fits perfectly and you dont need sealant. Expensive, but easy. it fits 10gals, so i cut it to fit. It worked nicely, though.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #7 
c4talys7

I'll do that then and just permanetly seal my tank when I get back to Oregon and then recycle it (its gunna take forever!)

Thanks for the links btw! I was originally looking for a way to divide the tank before having to get all the water out.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 
c4talys7

Yeah, I'm looking into one I can just slide in. I was trying to find those clear plastic boards that some people have that have those tiny holes in them but I don't know what they're called so I can search Amazon.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Those are often times made of glass, though some come in acrylic...
I know stores use those a lot. You could also get a slab of acrylic or glass and get it drilled :P
Idk quite how this one is but..
http://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Manuf...583394&sr=1-11
Some people also do them in plexiglass. Try that? :o
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #10 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
You could also look into suction cups, they have sets of 4 and 6 for dividing tanks so you dont have to use sealent ect, might be worth checking into so you dont ruin your cycle.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote