Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #1 
ekolyne

hey

hey whats up betta heads
couple months ago my friend got a betta fish, and it reminded me of my childhood memories of having a betta fish. ever since then ive been wanting to get one. so i went out and bought the betta, tank, plants, gravel, heater and filter. i got a 10 gal with 3 live plants, about 9 lbs of tiny pebbles and rocks for gravel, a whisper filter, and of course the heater. i also bought a fake hollow log / drift wood. i got some water conditioner and set up my tank. let it run for a few days and then added my betta.

since then i have added 3 cories who all get a long great. ive had these cories for maybe 2 weeks? they are getting big pretty fast

can anyone tell me why the water is cloudy? i thought the filter would keep it clear but its not, do i need one of those fluval power filters? are those any better then the whisper filter? if so, whats the difference between the 2?

thanks

Last edited by ekolyne; 01-18-2011 at 02:53 AM.
ekolyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

It sounds like a bacterial bloom-has nothing to do with the filter
I would make a 50% water change for the next couple of days and then 50% twice a week thereafter until the nitrogen cycle is completed(4-8 weeks)
Once cycled you should be able to maintain water quality with 1-50% with vacuum weekly in 10g filtered tank

One of the twice weekly needs to be water only and the other to include substrate cleaning with a vacuum-vacuum all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of the plant roots

Give your filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain water flow-if you have good water flow right now it is best to wait at least 30 days during the cycling period before you rinse the filter media-but water flow is important too-so if it needs it......

What kind of plants did you get-double check and make sure they are true aquatic-some pets shops sell non-aquatics-especially the ones sold in the plastic tubes and even some that are sold from tanks like mondo grass...non-aquatic will rot and die polluting the water...

Do you have water test products for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...if so can you post your numbers

Love to see some pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #3 
ekolyne

I got 3 plants from petsmart and sure enough it was the ones that were in the plastic tube. i got them for 99 cents i believe they were dying. maybe that was a big mistake? im on my lunch break at home, but when i return after work, ill post some pics! i just did a 50% water change, hopefully when i come back from work it`ll be much clearer

is this bacteria bloom good? does this mean its starting to cycle the tank? or is this harmful to my fish?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It can be harmful to the fish...all depending on the ammonia level...not all of the plants in the tubes are bad....but most are....sometimes you get lucky and will get a true aquatic in those tubes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
ekolyne

i believe i got a java fern, amazon sword plant i think? and something else
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #6 
ilovebunnies

Your first picture looks like wisteria that has been growing under low light. The leaves stay round under low light and become lacy in higher light. Your second picture is Java Fern. You need to pull the java fern out and tie it to a rock or a piece of driftwood, it will rot when the rhizome is buried.

I hope you'll show us a full tank shot. Your pictures are lovely so far! ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #7 
ekolyne

here it is
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #8 
ilovebunnies

That's pretty awesome tank! What a lucky fish! You even have a log to tie the java fern to.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #9 
ekolyne

i got some new pics of my betta.

are these the bubbles that the bettas make when they are ready to breed or if their just happy?
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #10 
ekolyne

**BUMP sorry **

i had a question, the top pic on the above post on my bettas fins, theres white lines going down in between his fins, are these considered "stress stripes"?

and whats the difference between a whisper filter and a power filter? whats better?