View Poll Results: What Do You Think?
Yes! 0 0%
No! 23 82.14%
I Don't Know, I just Like Voting! x3 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 
bloo97

Question Debate: Is This Fact True?

I was reading a book and it said that male bettas breed in ox hoofprints in mud, and the female knows to get to the male by slithering and wriggling (Sp?) themselves from a body of water, over land, and to the hoofprint.

True? I don't know what to think, but I'd say no.

What do y'all think?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #2 
bloo97

Whoops! I put this in the wrong place! Can somebody move it to "Betta Chat" for me please?

Last edited by bloo97; 01-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 
kfish

Whoa. I don't know enough about any of that to even vote, but that's really weird.... I also kind of doubt it. I guess that's enough for me to be able to vote no.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #4 
tsoto80

I dont see how it could be true does she sence where the male is just like they sence for their food (joke from aquablock thread) if she never finds the male she may die imma vote no on this
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

This almost sounds like a mudskipper mating more than anything... -_-
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Well I know I like wriggling out of water into ox hoofprints for some lovin'....
;D
...lmao. Thats probably not true.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #7 
JKfish

I don't think so... Wild bettas are either mouth brooders or bubble nest makers. if they stay in a tiny puddle to mate, what happens in a few days when the water dries up and the fry are just free swimming? They should stay in the rice paddies and canals to mate... I think your book needs to cite its sources. XD
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #8 
ilovebunnies

Don't believe everything you read from books. Seriously. Most likely the author doesn't have the credentials or field work to back this statement up. Sounds like he took a popular misconception and ran with it.

@ Pewpewpew: Hehehe, oh you! ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #9 
HarleyRigid

Could probably file this one in the same category as the 'they live in tiny puddles so only need tiny tanks' myth. Just cant see it working.
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

If you take the time to think logically about it you'll see that that is a load of crap.

Wild splendens (since I assume your book was not talking about other species) are bubblenesters. They have to have a secluded, safe spot to build their nest that will be safe from potential preditiors. They'll make their nests among the rice paddies where the nests are unlikely to be seen from above.

When the fry hatch they'll need to swim around to look for food... there will be little to no food in a hoofprint. Also in a hoof print they'd be very vunerable to predation. Just as domestically raised betta fry hid in the plants provided, wild fry will hide among the plants and leaves in their habitats.

Once upon a time I heard that bettas have been found in oxen hoof prints because they used the prints to jump from one paddy to another. THAT would make sense, especially considering what prolific jumpers wild betta are. They have to jump out of the water to catch insects yes, but jumping their way to a different habitat makes sense as well. That's how species spread.

Edit to add...

It's also possible that mouth brooding species have been found in hoof prints (while moving to a different location) and have released fry in those prints and that is how the rumor got started. That's just one of my theories... I've never heard/read of that being the case.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 01-22-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: addendum
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote