Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #11 
Bettaluver4evr

I have never heard of this before, and if bettafix + aquarium salt isn't working, I am not sure what else to reccomend. I would reccomend this website called bettatalk.com, they have a lot of useful info. I have no idea if I am allowed to do this or not, I hope I don't get in trouble. I want to help, so this is how I am going to.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #12 
lilchiwolf

UPDATE: I did another jar change and this time put him in plain water with aquarium salt. I swear the bettafix was just making things worse. Lets see if this will give him an energy boost. This is day 3 or treatment and not eating. He seems a little bloated and where is is bloat the scales seem to be pine coning. I really hope he is not getting dropsy. Here are the best pictures I could get. Sorry for the crappy quality.

I am also thinking he could be having this cause he is starting the signs. And if it is I am doomed cause there is nothing I can do for him :(

DISEASE: DROPSY
bloated belly and raised scale = dropsy close up of raised scales

uGENERAL INFO:
This is a most common and most fatal betta disease. oftentimes linked to the feeding of live foods, especially black worms. Very little is know about it, but what causes the raised scales is fluid building up under the skin, inside the betta's tissue. Usually what causes fluid to build up is simple kidney failure. And as you know, once the kidneys fail, the body dies. I think that is why we have had so little luck (mmmmm... Let me rephrase, NO LUCK AT ALL) in treating successfully bettas with dropsy. Although dropsy (the symptom) itself is not contagious, BACTERIA THAT CAUSE THE KIDNEY FAILURE in the first place usually are very very contagious. Since I stopped feeding live worms to my bettas I have not seen one single case of dropsy in my fishroom :). Thank God!
uSYMPTOMS: It is easy to diagnose a betta with Dropsy: Look for two signs: an abnormally big (bloated) belly and if you look at betta from the top, raised scales. Scales will look like an open pine cone. If you see this, you are out of luck, and so is Betta. He will soon go to betta heaven :((…
uTREATMENT: No known cure. Keep water clean, keep him AWAY from any other bettas etc… On occasion, in the case of a very mild raised scales, I have seen bettas recover on their own. But I suspect that this is because those cases are NOT real dropsy. Real dropsy always kill. So I guess you have to wait and see what happens. Treating is pretty useless. It may take up to 15 days for betta to die, though usually about 5 days. Any betta with dropsy should be immediately ISOLATED!!!! Prayer may not hurt.

Attached Images

lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #13 
BettaHeart

im sorry to hear about your fishy. I am also in the same situation with one of my red males, he has one tiny spot on his dorsal fin and so far he has been swimming around fine so far i have just been keeping his tank clean with 100% water changes every second day because i dont know what else to do. I really hope you get some advice from someone more experienced soon.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #14 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaHeart View Post
im sorry to hear about your fishy. I am also in the same situation with one of my red males, he has one tiny spot on his dorsal fin and so far he has been swimming around fine so far i have just been keeping his tank clean with 100% water changes every second day because i dont know what else to do. I really hope you get some advice from someone more experienced soon.
Thank you. It really stinks cause I just got him less than a week ago. He was spunky and totally fine. Not a scratch on him. I started to isolate him when I found him just laying on the bottom one day. Right then after I was the hole, then his color started to fade, then more holes and now he is pine coning! I am so sad. I also can't find the recipe for him just in case he passes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #15 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
I spent $14 on a halfmoon at petco that didn't make it, and it was after his warranty ended

Warranty....on a fish.....thats new to me lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #16 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Warranty....on a fish.....thats new to me lol
yeah, at petco the updated their warranty policy from 14 day to 30 days, thank god. Its a big help if something goes wrong. I hope me recipe is in the car >.<
Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #17 
Bettaluver4evr

Hehe, mmhmm. It's kinda nice to have, actually. My brother got a betta a year ago that died the first night, and he was able to return the tank and the fish and get his money back. Hehe, the fish was in a ziploc and he just handed it to the lady like "Look. My pretty fish is dead because you were wrong! MMuuahahaha!" She looked like, "Ew. Gross. Why'd you hand this to me?" Ugh, some people. So at Petco, it is nice to have a warranty.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #18 
lilchiwolf

Well i am still looking for it. It is confirmed though, he does have Dropsy. He is all pine coned out and has all the signs. :/

Guess I can just keep him comfortable. T.T
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #19 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry! But at least you gave him a nice home and he was loved. And my petco was pretty nice about a fish return once, we brought in the fish and a water sample, and they traded the poor fish out for a new one. I'd try just bringing him in and explaining... I am sorry. On that website I told you about there is a spot that shows a safe and painfree way to put a fish to sleep. It really is just like falling asleep to them. If you want to go that way, I mean... sorry.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #20 
lilchiwolf

I put him down today. The Dropsy was very bad and there was no reason for him to suffer. I will take his body back to the store to get my $12 back. In his place I got a new HM Blue Dragon Plakat that is very close to a king size. I will take pictures of him soon.