Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 
Wildcat

Hello from WILDCAT and Mom

WILDCAT and I would like to say Hello everyone! We are new to this site. I have just recently moved him to this 3.5 gallon tank and he seems much better, BUT.....He hangs out on the bottom a lot. Is this normal?
Anyway....we just wanted to introduce ourselves and say hello. Here's a couple pics of WILCAT.
WILDCAT & Mom
Attached Images

Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #2 
Airplane

Welcome to BettaFish.com!

Let me be the first to say... That tank is VERY crowded!
Airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #3 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplane View Post

Since it's cylindrical I think it's an illusion... it might not be that crowded...
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #4 
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplane View Post

Thank you. He has 2 plants and 1 small ornaament with the shark on it. The heater is hanging on the side, and the mirror is on the outside of the tank. Is this too much? Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

It's a 3 gallon right? I have that same heater and it fits nicely in a 1 gallon with plenty of room to spare so I'm guessing the shape makes it appear bigger than it really is. I also know from experience that that particular decoration is rather small as well. Unless the plants are HUGE I think your boy has plenty of room. =]

Welcome to the forum. =]

I will say however that undergravel filters are pretty much useless and your boy might be happier without that column in the middle of his home. ;]

I'd look at a sponge filter (homemade or otherwise) or possible a penplaxx smallworld filter to replace it. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Monroe0704. It might just look that way because it's cylindrical.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #7 
Wildcat

It is a 3.5 Gallon. So, are you saying to remove the filter and air from the aquarium? I am not sure what type of filter you are referring to?? And if I remove the tube in the center, I am not sure how the filter will work. He is still laying on the bottom and not moving around very much. Aquarium salt? It's only a few days old, so should I do a 10-30% water change now? Or will that stress him more?
Thanks in advance for your comments and help. MUCH appreciated.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #8 
wolfdreamer

i may be wrong but i think thats the same tank i have(i have two my girls like the light thats on the bottom) thats the only reason for the cylinder in the middle. so the fish could have more room i took it out and put the gravel on the bottom (one of my bettas made me do this before i wanted he would swim down the tub even with the little guard and would swim under the gravel plate i was so worried). I left the air stone in for awhile but have small side filters in there now.
wolfdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #9 
Wildcat

Cool Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdreamer View Post
i may be wrong but i think thats the same tank i have(i have two my girls like the light thats on the bottom) thats the only reason for the cylinder in the middle. so the fish could have more room i took it out and put the gravel on the bottom (one of my bettas made me do this before i wanted he would swim down the tub even with the little guard and would swim under the gravel plate i was so worried). I left the air stone in for awhile but have small side filters in there now.
It probably is...it was the largest they had at WM...the next size up was a regular 5 gallon glass tank, (Which I didn't have room for)
OK, so from what I am understanding, the gravel plate and air filter is pretty much useless with a Betta? Wow, Really....he must be really aggressive to go down the tube with the guard and air coming up. My lil Wildcat is still not feeling well, but will post on that under the right topic.
What type of "Small Side Filters" can you show me a photo? And do you remember where you got them? I may look online.
Thanks for the suggestions. Wildcat's Mommy
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #10 
fishman12

You should take the mirror off. It should only be on 10-15 minutes a day. They get stressed easily. That's only the advice that I can confidently give...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote