Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
DormDrax

Drax UPDATE Water Garden

The new Water Garden of the Insane...

The plants arrived yesterday but I was in horrible pain from food poisoning... I cleaned the tank anyway.

Tidbits: I Tossed the TopFin Bulbs they were getting gross. They smelled horrid.
But they were fun to flush down the toilet! Don't worry they were actually squishy... I'm sure they won't clog.

All the plants have been readded YES even the Anacharis had a few select stems I brought back.

I reorganized every stone and gem in that tank. Grouping everything lovingly...

I readded the old plants back to their regular locations.

Now for the new plants.

The Hornwort was a disaster putting in the tank... it SHED like a Christmas tree! Clogged the filter twice... but after all that... it stopped shedding (Probably all stuff that got damaged during shipping) now it looks VERY elegant in the back.

The An(Makes something up since he forgot the name) The thing thats red and purple! Was the easiest to set in... and I think is Drax's favorite plant now! He likes to swim through it.

The Riccia ... something. I tried to anchor to the tank cave but... it just broke into two big pieces so now I have two green like clouds floating around the top of the tank... I kinda like it haha.

The PennyWort I plan to move soon to a better spot.

Before you all yell... I plan on getting Sand Substrate next week. ONE THING AT A TIME PEOPLE! So the plants will be planted soon.

Now of course... what kind of owner would I be if I didn't flaunt some cute pictures of Drax?

*Bows*

So many plants for one fish? Not at all... I've told you all that I'm probably more into plants than fish. This way I can mesh two worlds.

*Ponders* (Currently Listening to http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/temporal-piano )
My Water Garden is still not complete... now I have many hiding places for Shrimp... The Snail can eat what it wishes. So they I could get anytime now.

Seems all I need now is the Sand Substrate and my tank shall be complete for the Cories.

*Song changes to http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/english an amazing song but it gets really weird toward the end... in a good way. *

*Smirks* Feel free to pledge your Alliance to me.

And ... just for the heck of it because everything is going well for once... made a piece of Art... using only stuff I CREATED. Even the Letters... I've made out of wires. Want the TypeFace? It's called Short-Circuit... You can have it for 100$ XD
That is a shadow image of me from Halloween when I was dressed as Mary Poppins... The background being several photographs of sunsets with a wire piece I took a photo of once. The shadows in the back are pictures of friends haha. The news clippings is actually if you look carefully if you fill in that gap area you can notice that it may have once had a face... it was my face haha.

So I bring you my own little work... Entitled... '
DELIGHTFULLY IN-SANE!

Added bonus for reading the entire thing... his water tests came back fine today. Now that I did it right...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #2 
DormDrax

More like POISON Garden...

Felt like checking the water after 24 hours of clean water...

And um...

What do these levels look like... I mean... I'm an artist... but I'm just worried I can't tell which color is what...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #3 
kfish

It looks like you're mid-cycle, lol. Might want to change some water to bring that ammonia and nitrite down... JUST WATER. Don't go too crazy, haha. I have noticed that sometimes the ammonia test result looks a bit green when there's really no ammonia present. Probably has to do with the droplets being uneven.

I love plants! You can never have too many. It looks great. :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #4 
DormDrax

Why would there be ANYTHING in the the tank... I cleaned it just 24hrs ago when I added those plants with a 100% Water change and rinsed the Gravel.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #5 
kfish

Hmmm... you probably shouldn't have rinsed the gravel.

By adding plants you've brought in a bit of decaying material and bacteria, which could cause an increase in ammonia and nitrite as the bacteria breaks down the ammonia. All in all, this helps your cycle and speeds it up greatly.

Based on those results, you're very close to finishing your cycle, as long as you didn't cause a bit of a reversal by your cleaning spree... which, I'm kind of worried about, given your high ammonia reading. Try testing your ammonia again and see if you get the same result. Sometimes it reads a bit higher than it really is.

I would definitely not do any more than 50% once or twice a week (depending on readings) until your tank cycles. Then, you'll be doing even fewer changes.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #6 
DormDrax

Well it can only be once a week since I'm at school during the week. Haha

Oh don't worry about the Gravel... there wasn't much hahaha.

You'll notice in those images a sponge in the filter region... when I took it out to clean. Then when I went to get it to put it back... the area that actually blocks the outflow is dirty brown and still VERY wet while the rest was dry. hahaha So I got a little colony just sittin on the sponge.... Darn Free-Loaders! The Bio-Wheel in my Filter also when I turn it off (To feed Drax so the food doesn't float away, only off for like a minute) I fiddle with it and it definitely has changed weight, it has a heavy side so... it's growing something in it.

So what... I shouldn't do anything for the tank? Shouldn't the plants be eating some of this stuff up too?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #7 
kfish

Rofl, free-loading bacteria. Yay!

The plants will definitely eat it some of it up. You should be done cycling soon, it seems like. Usually it only takes like 5-10 days once you have nitrites.

Just watch out for over-cleaning! If the ammonia is high (over .25 ppm), change out some water to get it down. Since you're only back for weekends, change out 50-75% and vacuum the gravel when you get home, then change out 25% (just water) before you leave to go back.

You should only rinse the filter media and the sponge in tank water you've removed. Filter media like once a month, sponge... when it looks gross (2 weeks?). Don't try to get everything off, of course! You just want to loose up chunks that could be clogging it.

I know you're crazy OCD based on other posts, but you'll have to resist your urges and settle for frequent vacuumings!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #8 
kfish

I'm still concerned about that high ammonia reading, though... test again tomorrow to see if that goes down any.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
I'm still concerned about that high ammonia reading, though... test again tomorrow to see if that goes down any.
Oh don't worry I didn't Tap Water rinse the Filter stuff like I did that ONE time way back. I just looked at them all... they had brown... had that weird ODOR but not rotting odor (You know... sorta a water-ish bio smell.) Not bad since the TopFin Bulbs (Their gone don't worry) Made me want to puke when I smelled them.

Actually... you know what? I think my tank is cycled I just think it's spiking because of the added stuff.

....... W/E I'll check tomorrow.

Think it would be safe to get a few Shrimp or snail? ... You have no idea how much I just want to get a bunch of Ghost Shrimp or a pair of Apple Snails... Like seriously I want *Censored* Snails or a bunch of *Censored* Ghost Shrimp!

Oddly enough I won my dad over with the tank. Oh he was mad at first because I was still fooling around with it when he was trying to sleep and the floor in front of my dresser is super creaky.
Tonight mom told me he had gone in there and thought the tank looked amazing hehehehehehehe

*Evil* Yes... Drax's Mansion IS the Fairest of them ALL...
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Going from the test result picture, your pH looks like it is below 7. This could be what is stalling the cycle and causing ammonia readings. Since the beneficial bacteria don't really thrive in such acidic conditions, I would add a couple of pinches of crushed coral (I think bicarbonate soda works as well) to a stocking and put it in your filter. This should raise the pH and hopefully get your cycle back on track.

Just as an aside, what nitrate readings do you get from water straight out of the tap? It looks like you've got about 5ppm, but that could be what is already in your water supply. Ideally, you should be getting a reading higher than that if your cycle is working properly since the conversion of ammonia to nitrate would be occurring. But it is difficult to calculate if you have faster growing stems because they are nutrient sponges and can suck up a lot of nitrates.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote