Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #11 
DormDrax

*Hits you with Fan*

Actually the water has a PH of 8. I use the HIGH PH Test.

I've been here for awhile yelling about my High PH.

*Hits you again*

How dare you ignore my rants!

*Ends up breaking paper fan on your head*

Now you broke my fan!

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-22-2011 at 02:32 AM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #12 
DormDrax

But you DID give me some info...

The submerged vine recently shot out all of those dainty white roots you see thar. Something in the water seemed to have triggered the plant to start growing faster.

And I do mean... TRIGGER... if you look at my gallery which is sorta dated, you'll see like... nothing nothing... small root growth then like a week later BAMM! Half a foot of root growth!

And... like always I'll say it again. *Smiles* And you all thought that vine would wither and rot *Chuckles*

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-22-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Oh okay, I was reading the tube as belonging to the very far left pH test since I just use the general one and that's what my card looks like. However, I see you have some readings for nitrite, which means some ammonia must be getting processed. From what I've read online, this part of the cycle (the growth of bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate) takes the longest amount of time because of something like the ratio of bacteria or speed of their growth (if I am recalling correctly).

I would definitely watch the nitrite levels though, as they can act a lot faster to kill your fish than ammonia. If you haven't done so already, I would perform a largish water change and test for both nitrite and ammonia daily just to make sure it doesn't spike any further.

You mentioned about the topfin bulbs rotting in the water. Did you change any of the tank water after you took them out? They would have been releasing a fair bit of ammonia into your tank which might have overwhelmed your beneficial bacteria and given you a faint positive reading when you tested.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #14 
DormDrax

UGHHHH....

The only water that had ANY contact with the bulbs was with Drax in the vase for about 2hours while I cleaned. So maybe 1liter.

... *FacePalms* Tank Cycling is hard. So help me God if Drax dies before it finishes, I'm going to throw the tank at the window... I'll take pictures...
Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Haha don't worry. I had two tanks suddenly crash when the filters stopped working and had to be changed over. Currently only a couple of my betta tanks are properly cycled, so every day is water change day . Luckily my goldfish tank is a beneficial bacteria factory so I'm going to start seeding an extra internal filter to use when I get everything properly set up in my bedroom.

I just keep my pH at around 6-6.4 so any ammonia present is basically harmless ammonium. And I change the water often enough that no nitrite builds up. I have to pay my mum fish rent each week because the power and water bills have about tripled where I live.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #16 
kfish

Fish rent! Oh my goodness! XD

Update us with your water parameters, DormDrax!

I really want a colony of shrimp, too. They're so funny! I just worry that Mr. Fish will eat them and become a fatty. XD

You should probably wait until you're cycled before you get some shrimp or a snail, so ammonia doesn't build up faster.

I don't see why you shouldn't after that, though! I hope Drax doesn't eat them all. Hahahaha. Betta fatties :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #17 
scootshoot

Whats the name of the plant in the upper right thats floating on the surface?
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #18 
DormDrax

Water...
PH 8.0
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 0.5

The Ammonia lowered but the Nitrite rose... I did a water change of 30% but the Nitrite it still up. But the Nitrate is going up so perhaps it's just balancing itself out.

That plant? Oh... Riccia Fluitans
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...t-riccia23.htm
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #19 
scootshoot

Oooh me likey. Gonna have to order two portions of that, one for the 5 and the other for the 14. tyvm!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #20 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Oooh me likey. Gonna have to order two portions of that, one for the 5 and the other for the 14. tyvm!
Get a few other plants... can't go wrong with plants hahaha.