Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #1 
Slayers

New Betta sick already?

So I just brought home a betta from Petco and I had to keep him in his cup over night till I got a new 5 Gal tank for him he is swimming fine and eating but when he does eat he will spit it out a few times then today I looked at him and there is red spots above his head I though maybe he rubbed it against the betta log so I took it out but now looking around here I think he might be sick can someone tell me if he is sick and what it might be.

And if he is sick how can I help him I have a critter carrier that is 1 3/4 gal I can put water in there and him with a heater but what should I put in there with him to make him better
Attached Images

Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

1) Hello, and congragulations on your new betta! He's lovely.
2) It is possible that this red spot is just part of his natural coloring. If you are sure it wasn't there before, it is possible that he scratched it. He might also have a fungus.
3) If he scratched himself, take out any objects that are sharp or rough, and put in some Bettafix, or a different fin/skin repairing medicine. Bettafix works fine on my bettas.
4) If you think it is a fungus, Rid-Ich works beautifully for me. You can also get many other remedies at Petsmart. I always have trouble finding these things at Petco, although my 3 bettas came from there.
5) The new betta is probably reluctant to eat because he is going through a crazy life changing-for-the-better situation. He might not be used to the food, so you can try a different food or give him time to get used to this.
6) It probably won't be neccessary to move him into your critter carrier.
He is blessed to have such a caring owner. And a 5 gallon tank is wonderful! Good luck, I hope he turns out fine.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #3 
Slayers

Thank you.

When I brought him home he was just like a pale white color it was after I put him in his home that he started to turn colors so I am not sure if that will be his coloring or not. I will try the betta fix for a few days but if he is not sick will it hurt him if I add it to the water?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #4 
fishman12

Ahhh! Wait on the bettafix! I have heard many bad things about it. It's good that it worked for Bettaluver4evr, but there are more bad stories than good. I just reccomend nice warm water and a little more time.
This might not work, but try to get the fish stressed. Then see if the color on the top of his head gets paler. If it doesn't, then you've got ich.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #5 
Slayers

Today I am doing a water change so I am sure he will get stressed then should the red on the top turn pale red if he is sick?

and if he has Itch can I treat him in the 5 gal tank while I finish cycling his future 10 gal home?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #6 
fishman12

Yes it will get pale red. I think its better to treat him in the smaller home that you mentioned.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #7 
Slayers

Ok Thank you just worried about the little guy they are fun and he is cool as hell so I don't want him to get sick.

Also can I put some salt in his tank for now or would that hurt him?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #8 
Slayers

ok quick update I changed the water today and the red spot got pale red for just a few seconds then went right back to the deep red color he is very active and will stop and flair at me everytime I sit near his tank which is right next to my computer.

I guess I can just watch him now and keep and eye out but should I put in some salt just in case?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

*Aquarium salt...
I guess it wouldnt hurt to try. 1/tsp or less per gallon.
Good luck, and dont use the aq. salt for more than a week, its not good long-term.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote