Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

My Goldfish Tank

Bettas aren't the only fish I keep, so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my other great fishy loves.
My goldfish tank is an ugly 46 gallon my dad got from a closed school about a hundred years ago. I eventually intend to upgrade them to either a 6 footer, or a backyard pond. The biggest goldfish used to live in a ten gallon tank with about three others and was given to me by my dad when he went interstate (after he helpfully washed out their filter with chlorinated water and bleach ). It's what actually first led me into the hobby, and eventually betta fish.

I never intended to have live plants since I heard goldfish love to eat them. However, I purchased a bunch of elodea to supplement their diet, since I didn't know if they were getting enough greens or not. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they didn't find it at all appetizing, so I chucked in a few bacopa stems and today bought some sick looking vals from the nursery. The plants get natural sunlight through the windows, and I give them a weekly fert dose. The elodea is making a very slow takeover, and after some initial melting, the bacopa is rooting in nicely.

Full tank shot

Ernest and Dickinson refusing to let me at least get a decent shot

Ernest finally co-operating after he saw me open the lid to his fish flakes

Crusoe investigating the possibility of there being more food (they just had a giant meal of leftover brine shrimp).

A shot of the current planted set-up. The vals will hopefully start to pick up soon. They look awful at the moment.

Feel free to post photos of your own goldfish set-ups if you have any. I always love having a snoop at other people's tanks.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #2 
Duncan13

I like it! It looks very natural!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. I'm eventually going to change out the gravel to a more natural looking brown coloured one, and add in a few more plants. My goldfish seem happy enough though, and they love surfing in the filter currents.

The tank itself bugs me. I hate rims on tanks, but it costs an arm and a leg to buy rimless tanks in that size. On my salary it would take me a year to save up for one.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #4 
Duncan13

Your goldfish are very lucky to have you as an owner. I know too many people that have their goldfish in 1 gallon bowls and then wonder why it died. Goldfish need AT LEAST 10 gallons for a single juvie. Your fish must be really happy with all that space to swim. :))
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #5 
HayrideHaunter

I think I'm in love with Crusoe...he's adorable XD...goldfish are so CUTE
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan13 View Post
Your goldfish are very lucky to have you as an owner. I know too many people that have their goldfish in 1 gallon bowls and then wonder why it died. Goldfish need AT LEAST 10 gallons for a single juvie. Your fish must be really happy with all that space to swim. :))
That tank ten years ago was the goldfish tank of death. It was rife with columnaris, and I feel sad for the fish that suffered because of our ignorance. Fast forward to today, and with an understanding of the importance of cycling a tank and stocking it correctly, it is now a properly functioning system. I'm still surprised when I tell my fish stories at work (one perk of being the manager is that people have to listen to me) at how many people believe goldfish grow to the size of their bowl or that they don't need a filter etc.

Their eyes go like this when I point to one of the foot long subs, and tell them that's approximately how big most single-tailed goldfish (not fancies) will get. They are even more gobsmacked when I explain to them that it is not an achievement for them to have had a goldfish live a whole year.

And yes, Crusoe is so adorable. He swims slightly crooked for some reason I have never figured out. He's even doing it in that picture haha.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #7 
tsoto80

how many inces are they? They look big! Wish you lived near me cause I would give you my mother-in-laws goldfish he is about 3 inches she dont want him anymore and said she was gonna flush him :( BTW I think your gravel looks cool
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Um I think Ernest is about 6 inches, while the other two are about 2.5 inches at the moment. He is slowly starting to get a lot thicker and it takes him about 1 second to get from one end of the tank to the other when I startle him.

I love goldfish, if I had the room for a few big tanks I would certainly have a lot more of them. They're so funny to watch, and they all have their own little personalities. When I first put the other two in with Ernest he went over and tried to see if they could fit into his mouth. Fortunately for me (and him!) they didn't.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #9 
tsoto80

When I first started keeping fish years ago I started out with goldfish. I had about 4 smalls ones in a 10 gallon. I know its too cramped of space but I didnt know any better. My favorite was Primus. He was a black moor. I am glad I have pics of him because he was murdered by careless hands :s
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah we had five or six goldfish in that tank (comets and fancies) who with a crappy undergravel filter and not enough water changes, actually managed to grow to 5 or 6 inches and live for around 8 or so years. I hate that because they're so hardy and cheap people think they are not worth the effort of proper research and care.

Thankfully, it seems people are slowly starting to understand that it takes a lot of effort to look after goldfish. I've been helping educate my older brother and his girlfriend on their care and so far they have upgraded their goldfish into a 2.5 foot tank, bought the proper test kits and good filters, and have so far resisted the urge to cram the tank with as many goldfish as they can fit.

I also tell people at work if they ever want to get into fish to come to me and I can provide them with some basic info as well as some filter media to kick-start their cycle if they need it.