Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #11 
Sweeda88

He wasn't taking them out for treatments, just to measure them. I've seen other sellers just put a ruler against the tank to measure them. I see no need for them to be taken out of their tanks to be measured.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #12 
Alex09

Everyone up to their own. I just think your are anthropomorphizing the fish.

PS: have you ever tried measuring a fish when its still in the tank? It's pretty hard and takes longer as the fish is constantly moving around.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #13 
Jupiter

Yep. Whenever I've had a betta jump out of the water, he just lays still on the ground. I put them back in and they're fine. Betta are okay out of the water for a few minutes. I don't think it's torture if he's just measuring them and then putting them back in.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #14 
Ethan

Its not torture, your bettas do fine when your changing the water and put them in a net right?How could this be cruel there is no harm intended by this and the seller just didn't want complaints by customers saying (This betta is to large or viceversa) And he or she wanted to show what he/she is selling. Without the hastle of the fish moving around in the tank. And if your sitting around by a tank all day measuring while your betta swims around and you have more bettas to measure to sell then your wasting your bettas time and yours if you think about it. If you think about it it's crueler making your betta shruggle while you measure him in the tank is no more than out of the water for a few sec.

(Not, cruel)

Last edited by Ethan; 01-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #15 
gahcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
It's not cruel. So long as they remain wet they will be fine. The fish don't really flop either. Whenever I net my bettas they lay still.
Thats amazing, whenevr i net mine it's like i'm in a fight. lol
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #16 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahcrazy View Post
Thats amazing, whenevr i net mine it's like i'm in a fight. lol
mine also goes crazy when I put them in the net. I have to cove the top with my hand so they dont fall out and on the floor lol

When I first brought home ghost shrimp after I finally caught it in the net I was fixing to put it in the water and it jumped out of the net and into the tank was kinda funny and cool but scary lol I knew they could jump but not that far! Learned my lesson and I now cover the top of the net with them also lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #17 
Goomba3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
It's not cruel. So long as they remain wet they will be fine. The fish don't really flop either. Whenever I net my bettas they lay still.
I agree with the others, you must have some pretty chill bettas. Mine flop around a bit when I net them!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #18 
Alex09

Huh. Mine will just wiggle for a few moments and then just lay still. Lol. Well… except my female… but she's already crazy
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #19 
Ethan

Do you guys agree with my post?
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #20 
Bettaluver4evr

I don't think the idea of it is cruel, because bettas can survive for quite a while out of water. However, the poor bettas don't need to be taken out at all! It is stressful and the poor little guys don't like it. I saw someone snap a picture of a ruler pressed up against the glass of a tank with the fish right next to it. The fish didn't need to come out of the tank and the measurement was accurate. I prefer this method to the whole fish-outta-water-for-five-minutes thing.
Bettaluver4evr is online now   Reply With Quote