Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Honest Opinion... Walmart bettas

I went into the walmart closest to me yesterday with a friend. I wanted to look at some new fish supplies even though I didn't really have any money left. Well, they had just gotten a new shipment of bettas in. I was almost in tears because I had already spent all of my money. Some of the bettas were pretty too. One was already dead, naturally. I really wish I had the money to buy a couple, my friend fell in love with one. I am very sad that my walmart started selling bettas again. I can't get any more, I have 3 bettas... I'm a young teenager, and my parents say that 3 is the limit. What is your honest opinion about walmart bettas? Mine is basically "They are pretty, but they aren't given the proper care at all." What can be done to stop their being sold there? At least Petco gives them more water in their cups. :(
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #2 
kholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
I went into the walmart closest to me yesterday with a friend. I wanted to look at some new fish supplies even though I didn't really have any money left. Well, they had just gotten a new shipment of bettas in. I was almost in tears because I had already spent all of my money. Some of the bettas were pretty too. One was already dead, naturally. I really wish I had the money to buy a couple, my friend fell in love with one. I am very sad that my walmart started selling bettas again. I can't get any more, I have 3 bettas... I'm a young teenager, and my parents say that 3 is the limit. What is your honest opinion about walmart bettas? Mine is basically "They are pretty, but they aren't given the proper care at all." What can be done to stop their being sold there? At least Petco gives them more water in their cups. :(
It's not just Wal-Mart. I have been in a couple "respectable" pet stores whose bettas were worse off than anything I've ever seen in PetsMart or Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart near my house sells no live stock at all, and the one by my work keeps their stock low, never having more than two or three bettas at a time, and often none for weeks.

I am willing to bet that "proper care" doesn't always occur even after a fish (or any pet) is taken home - but these things we don't have much control of, and we can't "save" them all.

One of the best ways to make a difference is get involved. Ask to speak with the pet department manager and maybe pass on some literature on the proper care of bettas. They may or may not respond to your requests and advice, but you are the one that gets to leave with knowing you did what you could.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh my goodness, I know what you are talking about. I almost fainted when I went in this aquarium store once... they had bettas in so little water part of their backs were out of the cup. I couldn't believe it, the water was brown. Brown water, and not even an inch of it. I couldn't get him, sadly. I probably would have after giving the owner a piece of my mind. I doubt he would have listened to a little teenager, but who knows.
I honestly believe that once a betta is taken home and given the right care, (or at least gotten it into a half gallon tank and fed every day and cleaned every few days) that the fish is better off than in the store. A half gallon is bigger than the cup. And if a betta is fed, loved, and given a home with room to swim, it has something to be thankful for.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 
BettasForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
Oh my goodness, I know what you are talking about. I almost fainted when I went in this aquarium store once... they had bettas in so little water part of their backs were out of the cup. I couldn't believe it, the water was brown. Brown water, and not even an inch of it. I couldn't get him, sadly. I probably would have after giving the owner a piece of my mind. I doubt he would have listened to a little teenager, but who knows.
I honestly believe that once a betta is taken home and given the right care, (or at least gotten it into a half gallon tank and fed every day and cleaned every few days) that the fish is better off than in the store. A half gallon is bigger than the cup. And if a betta is fed, loved, and given a home with room to swim, it has something to be thankful for.

Agreed. I can't believe what they put these beautiful animals though. The cups are OK temporarily as long as they are kept clean and fed every day. But once I see a betta with some kind of disease it makes my heart break. Why would a betta have to be put through that kind of thing? They deserve better, and if your going to put them in a small cup/vase/bowl, MAKE SURE THAT IT'S CLEAN!
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Amen. LOL! My bettas are healthy because after losing 2 bettas last year to disease and lack of medications, I have hit my stride, and my bettas have never been better. Ugh, walmart made me so mad! The poor little things. I am buying one of my besties a betta fish for her birthday. I can't save any, but she wants to, so... hehe.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Oh, the walmart near my house is real sad. You can smell the fish tanks from the next aisle. The smell of dead fish, dirty water. gross gross. I really have no idea how they are getting away with it. It is animal cruelty for sure.My sister recently tried to rescue a betta from this walmart, he had quite a bit of disease and he passed within 2 days. poor fish.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

That is terrible! I havn't had many bettas, maybe 8 or so in my life? I think one came from walmart when I was younger, and he only lived a year. Which I guess isn't too bad, but I would rather it be 2-4 years. It totally is animal cruelty. Someone should start a betta rescue adoption thing. Like, $20 for a fish and tank, food, and conditioner. People could give away bettas they don't want anymore, and people could save bettas cheaper than buying them somewhere else. That would be awesome. :D
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

I got my Cleo at walmart, I have had him almost a year now.He was a full grown adult fish when i got him. he has a little bit of a "hump back" I still love him though. haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #9 
BettasForever

That must be adorable! I wish I could get a pic of my betta's green-into-red fins, but he keeps moving.. :3

Anyway, I think they should be kept in something a little bigger than a cup.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Hehe, nobody is perfect! Whoever was like, "This betta looks very happy in this tiny plastic container, lets put them all in these. They'll be fine." I want them to go live in a closet for a few months. Like that? No, I doubt it. You'd be gasping for air in a day or two. I'm not expecting these pet store fish to be in filtered aquariums, but a little respect would be nice.