Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #1 
tsoto80

Red face A New Friend?

Was at PetSmart today and we are thinking about getting a lil guy like this he is a Sun Conour Parrot what do you guys think? We are also going to get this starter kit I would post the link but it is not working right

tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 
JKfish

be sure to research, these guys live a long time, I'm pretty sure about 20 years. Those guys are so cute, but seeing as they live so long, make sure you're ready to make the commitment. Find a forum or something online where you can talk to people who have sun conures, and just listen to their experiences and what not, you never know, you might decide you absolutely want one, but then again, you might decide that you don't.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

I really don't think buying a bird from Petsmart is a good idea.. And that kit is small! These birds need a lot of room!

I'll be back, I'll see if I can find a reliable care sheet on them..they are GREAT pets, but just like with bettas, petstores will teach you how to just let them survive!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Ok my friend gave me this care site
http://www.mysunconure.com/sunconurecare.html
That is the minimum cage size on the site, so I wouldn't go smaller than that. Bigger is always better when it comes to birds! ;) Craiglist often has cheap cages if you don't want to spend the hundreds petstores want you to spend!

Sun conures are very loving birds, they are intelligent and LOVE to play. Birds actually do 'play' with their toys, so give them lots of safe playtime options! Toys and things to destroy..they love it!

All birds have a powerful bite..but don't be too hard on your conure if he does bite you. They are like children, they often don't know their limits, or that what they are doing hurts. Sometimes they just like to test their boundaries or..if your bird is not given enough attention, he may act out..Even negative attention is still attention to a lonely bird! They can be taught to speak, so have fun with that! :)

Also..Never give the sun conure JUST seeds...That is so dangerous! They can get fatty liver disease from an incomplete diet..Pellets are better..but always remember to supplement the meals with fruits and veggies.. It's fun to share an apple with your pet bird :)

You WILL want to get a sun conure as young as you can..You don't know how they were treated when they were young, and that can greatly affect their personalities. If they were treated poorly, they may never trust again, or will be extremely difficult to tame, and be very nippy. If they fell in love with an old owner or caretaker, they will often be heartbroken when sent to a new home with strange people. Birds love their owners and grow so strongly attached..Thats why so many are so angry and confused when they are sold to other people!

This is also why birds get loud. Make sure you spend time with your bird, especially at morning and just before night..key social hours for a bird. A lonely bird will cry out for it's family. People who get annoyed will move the bird farther away from social areas, so it's quiet..The bird becomes forgotten as it is no longer in the key living area..As people spend less time with the bird and he gets more secluded, the louder he'll get, trying to get their attention again.. And the louder he gets, the less time they spend with him! It's a terrible cycle, and it happens to a lot of birds.

They are wonderful friends, and birds often connect to one specific person(though they will love their whole family!) But don't be surprised if he loves YOU at first..but then while you are gone on vacation he suddenly shows more love for your parent or sibling.. It happens! The more time you spend with them, the more they want to show you their appreciation!

Birds are pretty easy to care for, though. Get the cage. Make sure they ALWAYS have clean water..Feed them pellets, sometimes seeds(just make sure they don't get spoiled on them..they are like potato chips!) and make sure you give them fruits and veggies! You can use treats to help you train, so just make sure the foods you give the bird is healthy. Some birds will only eat something if they know it's 'safe'..Bella will only eat a food if she sees Nathan eat it first.. Just don't try to force it!

And birds will take lots of time to get used to you! Don't expect a puppy who will immediately be friendly to everyone. They are too smart for that, and they will know they are in a different environment with different people..so they will be a bit nervous!

Best is to buy from a breeder if possible. You can get them young, healthy, and NOT abused and prodded by visitors and bad employees who don't know better. :) SOMETIMES you'll get lucky with a petstore bird.. But sometimes.. Yeah, not really.

A sun conure is a GREAT pet, and I've always wanted one.. :) If you choose to go for it... just do it wisely! This is a commitment! But you will fall in love..it's hard not to love an animal that just adores you! ;)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 
tsoto80

Well the kit said its for parrots....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Product+Type

alright the link still is not working its item number 2754293 and the size is
Dimensions: 24" x 18" x 31" with 1" wire spacing I dunno it looked big in the store but if it still is to small I'll get a bigger cage. The same day I brung home my first betta I researched them on the internet and found this site. My tank was going for about a week before I put him in. So I will do all the research I can about this type of parrot. My BF actually had his eye on him for about 4 months. Same parrot lived in that store that long maybe longer. We thought to rescue him from there cause we dunno if he is getting good care or not. Where else would I buy or adopt a parrot?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #6 
tsoto80

Thank you for the link I was writing my message when you were doing yours lol I will look around for a breeder and make sure its what my BF and I really want my mom had a lovebird before and she taught her how to talk lol I always wanted a bird heck I would have a mess full of animals if I could! My own lil petshop!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

If you can, find a breeder. Type sun conure breeder in ____ whatever state you live in. If you find one, but can't tell if they are currently selling, send them an email, maybe they know someone who is. If you find a nice parrot forum, people there can lead you in the right direction(I know I never would have found aquabid if it wasn't for this site!)

There are bird conventions, but from what I've heard from my friend, they are going down hill, at least where we live.

The problem with 'rescuing' a bird from a petstore..The big guys don't ever get a notice saying you were upset with the care of the animal, they just get the money. Money means buy a new bird to replace it. And conures sell for a lot of money!

That cage might work, it looked like the tiny one they tried to sell to me as a 'parrot' cage, but as long as the overall size adds up the same the bird should be fine.

Breeders will almost always be cheaper than pet stores, and are generally more healthy(there are always exceptions of course).. The problem with birds is, if you don't know birds..by the time you notice a problem, it's already too late to save the bird! That's why it's scary to buy from petstores..sometimes they already have the late stages of fatty liver disease, but no one in the store knows it, and it gets sold..and it dies in the new owner's care. Petstore will blame it on them! Yucky!

A lot of people buy from petstores, still. if you do, make sure you ask QUESTIONS! Lots of them. Make sure you know what the bird is being fed, how old he is, any health issues in the past, personality, etc.... Just make sure you don't get any 'surprises'!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #8 
tsoto80

Would birds have "paper" like cats and dogs do? (shots, vet visit, illness and so on) some kind of history is better than none
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 
tsoto80

wow thanks for the tip!! Found some babies for $200! Thats 400 in my pocket! Just have to figure where these places are cause Im not from Florida lol
Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sun conures sound like great pets. Having one would be kind of like having a child. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote