Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #11 
tsoto80

Im gonna end up like the old cat lady with 100 cats but instead Im gonna have all different types of pets. I will be my own pet shop lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #12 
shinybetta

I wish I had 100 cats........ If I owned a hotel! (Lol, Hotel For Cats!)
Make sure to get him hand trained. My parakeets never got hand trained.....
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #13 
vaygirl

Birds are great but they are a lot of work. And if they want to be, very noisy. They're very much like toddlers. Remember that. :P

I can't tell you how many times my husband and I sat down to watch something and my budgie decided it was time to go bonkers. Happy bird hunting. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #14 
Jupiter

Hope you find one! I don't have much experience with birds...my dad used to keep canaries in a room in the basement. They would be singing non-stop all day! Eventually we got used to it, lol. But they're a lot of fun, even if they're messy. s
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #15 
Sweeda88

Make sure you buy some earplugs so you can sleep at night! lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #16 
tsoto80

I actually want a noisey bird! I think they sing beautifully. When my mom had her lovebird she put a blanket over the cage at night so Hootie would sleep. I am getting so excited! I do need to double check with my apartment manager cause she said we are not allowed to have pets but fish and birds are the exception. I will be so angry if she tells me that is not the case after I already fell in love with my bettas and hopefully a new bird thats in my thoughts.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #17 
vaygirl

Well yeah, it's great when they sing. I'm talking about screaming. Unrelenting, continuous screaming. You think you'll get used to it but if it's bad enough it actually can make your head hurt. Smeagol (my budgie) used to alarm any time he heard the neighbor's TV across the way. You could hear him from the dumpster out in our parking lot which is a good 300 feet away. I just want to make sure you're ready for that level of noise. Especially in an apartment. It's possible you'll get complaints. Go on you tube and search for videos of their noises. I'm totally not saying "Don't get one!" I just want to make sure if you do, you know what you could be in for as far as noise goes. There's not a way to shut them off. Lol. I grew up with a yellow headed amazon who belonged to my best friend. He was AWESOME. But I'm glad I didn't live with him 24/7. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #18 
purplemuffin

Yeah, parrot's squeal. It's how they talk. Sometimes they just make noise to make noise. It's really like having a toddler, really. They need attention, love, and good training..but are still gonna be loud and messy! And dusty!

Just be ready for if your bird gets so excited to be on your shoulder that he gives off a loud happy squeal..ouch! My ear! lol :)

They generally are quiet at bed time though. Right before sleep..no, they'll be loud. Once you are asleep and they go to sleep they will be nice and quiet..until they hear you get up! :D Then they have to say hello again!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #19 
tsoto80

Are there any pet birds that dont have high pitch screaming? Maybe like a finch or cockatiel? I have neighbors on both sides of me plus on top....Im a little disapointed but not discouraged!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #20 
purplemuffin

Parrots all pretty much squeal. Even cockatiels, though theirs are more quiet. Neighbors will be able to hear that. Finches are great, they talk and chirp but it is pretty quiet. Just expect constant noise, and you'll need to have 2-3 as they are social animals! I really want finches someday actually. They need a surprisingly large cage as they don't tame very well, so they need to get a lot of exercise in there.

Actually.. DOVES are great birds. Very quiet, very tameable, can be intelligent and loving..and they don't bite in the way a parrot would. Plus they are like 30 dollars!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote