Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #1 
peachesxo

What's up with my Betta?

So yesterday I switched my new Betta to a new tank and he is so much happier then he was before it seems. I've only had him for about 5 days and at first he was eating his pellets happily.
I just got home from work and he was hiding in his rock thing and I noticed he had made a little bubble nest on the side of the tank.

He hasn't been eating his pellets anymore though, or only small bits of them, but never the full thing or just not at all. I also have some flakes and tried giving him a bit of that but he ignored them, too.

What's up with him?
Also, I've heard alot of people saying they love bloodworms which I will try when I go back to the aquarium store to get more of the water-treatment stuff, but that wont be for a little while.

Is it possible he just isnt that hungry? He is apparently quite young, but he's probably only eaten one or two full pellets in the past 3 days...

(Note : he had stopped eating his pellets in the old tank before i switched him so I don't think it has anything to do with that)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Bubble nests are good signs, so I wouldn't be too worried. I would try to continue encouraging your fishy to eat, and my bettas gobble up their bloodworms like there is no tomorrow! :) Just be patient. If he still isn't eating in a few days, even with the new food, something is up. But lets not worry about that bridge until we come to it.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

If you believe he is quite young, does that mean is is quite small? Maybe the pellets are too large for him to eat? Just a thought.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
If you believe he is quite young, does that mean is is quite small? Maybe the pellets are too large for him to eat? Just a thought.
He is small I guess but I am not sure because he is my first betta in about 6 years -_-

But the people where i bought him said he was young and to only feed him 2-3 pellets a day to start but he isn't even eating that.

He WAS eating them fine before though that's the thing, so I don't think it has to do with his size
Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Are you keeping his water warm enough and clean enough? What is the water temp? How much and how often do you change water?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 
peachesxo

Quote:
Are you keeping his water warm enough and clean enough? What is the water temp? How much and how often do you change water?
Yes, he has a heater and right now it's at 79/80 degrees and his water is definatly clean enough the tank is new he just went in yesterday, 10 gallon, he's the only one in there.

I think he was too cold before in his old little tank though, it didn't have a heater (which he was only in for about 3 days, i just got him on monday) he first started not eating the pellets in the old tank.
he also just sat at the bottom doing nothing in there, that's why i went and got a new one so quickly, i knew something was up and had just found all these forums the day before. so he is definatly improving, the not eating very much/ nothing thing is the only problem now.
as mentioned, i found a bubble nest he made when i got home today, so it's totally confusing!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Ok - so he has been moved twice in about 5 days, correct? I would say it's an adjustment thing - just hang in there & keep offering him food, but make sure you remove any uneaten food so it doesn't rot. He SHOULD start eating again in a few days to a week.

BTW, do you have decor, plants, anything for him to hide in if he feels stressed? A coffee mug does nicely as a cave. :)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 
peachesxo

Quote:
Ok - so he has been moved twice in about 5 days, correct? I would say it's an adjustment thing - just hang in there & keep offering him food, but make sure you remove any uneaten food so it doesn't rot. He SHOULD start eating again in a few days to a week.

BTW, do you have decor, plants, anything for him to hide in if he feels stressed? A coffee mug does nicely as a cave. :)
I have 3 plants (fake) and one big hiding rock cave along with another smaller hiding rock cave.

yes he had has 2 moves in this time, that could definatly be it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

That all sounds good.

One thing about food - I use New Life Sprectrum Growth Formula which has 50% protein & 9% fat and garlic in it. I have YET to have a betta refuse it. :) I give them Golden Pearls (60% protein) on Wed. & Sat. and fast them on Sunday.

Both of those pellets are TEENY, TINY so NOBODY has any trouble eating them!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #10 
peachesxo

I woke up this morning and he was dead.
I have no idea what happened or went wrong.
:(

My poor fishie didn't even last a week.